× HKMBA Mountain Biking Advocacy 香港越野單車協進會

Topic-icon Sok ku Wan Quarry

5 years 2 months ago #3126

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • I have seen this one in the trails section and it sounds like a really nice, relaxed place to go mountain biking - were there not that note about it being closed by the YMCA.
    The note is from 2011, so I would like to ask if there was any development since then to get it open again? It sounds really fun and would be sad if it was closed for us mountain bikers.

*edit: I just saw this came under advocacy, if it better fits into the trail section of the forum, please move it there. Sorry for the convenience.

Last Edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Lennart Finkeldey.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 2 months ago #3127

• Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

• Thank you received: 9

• You might want to contact Tom (current HKMBA chairman) directly, what with him actually living on Lamma Island and should be up to date with such things.

Warning: getimagesize(/home/hkmba/www/www/media/kunena/ranks/hkmba logo_211.png): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/hkmba/www/www/libraries/kunena/user/user.php on line 902
    5 years 2 months ago #3129

Warning: getimagesize(/home/hkmba/www/www/media/kunena/ranks/hkmba logo_211.png): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/hkmba/www/www/libraries/kunena/user/user.php on line 902

• HKMBA
  • HKMBA

• Thank you received: 7

• By HK standards the ex Lamma Quarry is about the best beginner trail around and its mostly spider free during the summer which is a bonus on Lamma.

Sadly, its now in the hands of the YMCA who obtained it through some kind of subterfuge. They have fenced off the site and you must beg them to get in somehow. No one on the island had a clue that this was in the works and the govt did not post their intentions near the entrance to the quarry either (the govt lands dept drone explained that it was posted in Sok Kwu Wan on an A4 sheet somewhere)...

YMCA may run some courses for kids to learn MTB but who knows...

5 years 2 months ago #3130

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Hi tom and Stanley,

So the situation has not changed and they have not opened it up again in the meantime.
    I will probably try out the other trails on Lamma and ride by the YMCA to see if I can talk to someone and see if they can open up the location at least when asked politely. =) Cheers!

Moderators: bikestevebrandon