× HKMBA Mountain Biking Advocacy 香港越野單車協進會

TAI MO SHAN TRAILS PROPOSAL

5 years 4 months ago #3256 by brandon
Hi guys, want to get some input on the proposal we're going to pitch to AFCD. Here's what I'm thinking is most feasible so far, based on what I know about their preferences and priorities:

Phase 1 - extend the 'new entrance' to follow the northeast-bound contour trail further down the mountain, for one complete "blue run" that can be shuttled. Vans can pick up riders at the pagoda where the motorbikes usually hang out, or you can ride back up the road. This meets demand for the large, rapidly-expanding segment of intermediate 'gravity' riders, and hopefully will keep them out of a wheelchair.

Phase 2 - A dedicated all-downhill run linking up to Ho Pui, bypassing the new entrance, starting further up the hill / along the paved park road, joining further than Rocky Horror and avoiding the ascending section of the contour. That way all your uphill is before your run, and vans can apply to shuttle to the start for races and avoid a 30-min slog before a single 3-min run.

Phase 3 - A NEW all-mountain contour trail linking the Helipad area [the highest point of the new entrance] to the Tin Fu Tsai section, which in turn will link to the new [planned] Tin Man AM/DH trail, which in turn connects to ...

Phase 4 - A NEW all-mountain contour trail on the SOUTH side of Tai Lam Reservoir, allowing riders to ride one continous, flowing and sustainable trail from Twisk to the Dam, and back around to the original reservoir trail [the more enjoyable direction - clockwise] and back to Kam Tin area.

Yes, we're thinking big-picture here ... and as in the case with the new entrance, you get better value-for-effort/money when doing it the right way from scratch than trying to fix a poorly-aligned track that wasn't designed for bikes in the first place.
The following user(s) said Thank You: YW-Slayer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #3257 by YW-Slayer
All no-brainers, particularly (for me and my style of biking) #s 3 and 4 and the awesome curry/South Asian restaurant (Shahjahan) in Kam Tin.

5 years 4 months ago #3258 by Pk101
Replied by Pk101 on topic TAI MO SHAN TRAILS PROPOSAL
Agree with #2 and 3 as a priority. #1 would be nice but not essential at this point.

The pagoda and shuttle/ride up is not nice on that road. Bike/Boy racer traffic will result in an accident at some point. If we can get mtbr into country park, lets try and keep them there.

A blue loop starting from forest track and going back to helipad or ho pui trail head with option of joining ho pui contour/DH would be great. Think there are some underused stairs in that area that could be included, just needs a touchup.

5 years 4 months ago #3259 by brandon
Replied by brandon on topic TAI MO SHAN TRAILS PROPOSAL
Not sure what you mean by the forest track and stairs ... the easiest climb back to the top is going to be back the way you came, via the new entrance. Or like I did this morning, hike-a-bike up the old stairs next to the big rock. But we do need an exit other than the contour / Ho Pui DH, for intermediate riders who want to shuttle, and given the Country Park boundary, it's gotta be somewhere on Twisk.

Got any map pics of what u mean for the blue loop?

5 years 4 months ago #3260 by brandon
Oh BTW, some priorities we may want to consider in proposing trails [in no particular order], all of which are important, but feel free to add anything, rank them, etc.

A. Safety / avoiding user conflict [Kap Lung is a huge issue right now, Tai Lam less so, but still]

B. Providing beginner / intermediate trails beyond the super-short green/blue tracks at the entrance

C. Adding value to existing trails, and expanding / linking them up as a 'stacked loop' network

D. Providing shuttle-based trails to serve the growing AM / DH contingent

E. Creating more cross-country tracks with better public access / connectivity in mind

5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #3261 by Pk101
Here's a map showing the forest track and existing trails in country park. Also shows a little bicycle for MTB trails.

Blue line is new entrance, hashed line is what I was trying to explain.

"..paved park road..." is called Forest Track...the section we are talking about is called "Forest Track - Twisk Section" if I recall correctly.

You can have multiple link ups with the contour trail from the forest track but will be short blasts. The longer AM trail can go all the way to Tin Fu Tsai begginer trail or proposed new Tin Man.

Ive included a blank map if any body wants to use it.

Attachments:

5 years 4 months ago #3262 by bikesteve
The stairs on the bottom left of your map, presumably these are the ones currently with the no biking sign right? -What follows is a steady descent of about a kilometer back to the existing Ho Pui trail coming out on a right fork just before the landslip or left fork onto the existing trail further down.

This sees few if any hikers and provides a safe entry (although somewhat abbreviated) to the Ho Pui DH & TMS down to Tai Lam trail.

For the proposed trail in between the Mac & existing trail, guess it needs a further look to see whether the grade is shallow enough to build in, from what i've seen looking down from the Maclehosse I think most of it is....

5 years 4 months ago #3265 by Pk101
Yes, stairs have no biking sign but foot traffic is very low.

The hillside below the forest track has some decent areas for trails but not sure about whole length. needs looking into.

5 years 4 months ago #3266 by brandon
Yes, the dotted blue line is what would connect the Helipad to Tin Fu Tsai. Our friendly Singaporean consultant has in fact looked at it, and yes it is doable, but as you say the length is quite a challenge.

In the meantime, what may really help most is a switchback / crossover to bring you up from the contour to Tin Fu Tsai.

As for the 'loop' near the entrance, this is certainly something that would add value for intermediate riders, and we may also consider doing it on the northwest side, rather than the southeast as shown.

What do you guys think?

5 years 4 months ago #3267 by brandon
By the way, here's a map of the trails I rode in college - where they have something like 20 miles of trails in 2 square miles of city park. This is what "stacked loops" are all about.

Attachments:

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
Time to create page: 0.584 seconds
© Hong Kong Mountain Bike Association. All Rights Reserved.