× HKMBA Mountain Biking Advocacy 香港越野單車協進會

Littering on the trails

5 years 2 months ago #3324 by whammer
Replied by whammer on topic Littering on the trails
Interesting, it seems we get pretty irate about litter and are willing to be downright confrontational about it. On the other hand, we don't give a monkeys about those scaring the living daylights out of hikers and shredding trails, still.....'Everybody must do their bit !!!!'.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #3325 by YW-Slayer
Replied by YW-Slayer on topic Littering on the trails
That's not a fair cnoclusion. The cardinal rule is "Don't be a dick", and both littering and scaring hikers are pretty dickish moves.

Having said that, would the world implode if a cigarette smoking DHer (who is also a 30-50yo Chinese construction worker) scared a littering, cigarette-smoking gweilo hiker?

5 years 2 months ago #3326 by blackcolour
Replied by blackcolour on topic Littering on the trails
psycholist,

I did not ask that man's profession, it was merely an educated guess. He had a very dark skin tone on his face, torso and arms but very white legs. This is usually associated with people working in the construction industry. Also, he was smoking Chinese fags.

Since the Smoking (Public Health) Ordinance became part of the law, which effectively forbidden smoking in most public places, all country parks are deemed a non-smoking area. Meaning that, in case you don't know, having a lighted cigarette is illegal.

You may not be too bothered about second-hand smoke, but I am, so do nearly everyone I know. And don't forget that many parents bring along their kids to the country parks to enjoy the fresh air, superb views and gentle tweeting of birds - not suffering from people's leftovers. And this includes litter on the ground as well as harmful air.

5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #3327 by psycholist
Replied by psycholist on topic Littering on the trails
Brandon wrote: "but this is HK, where common-sense behavior has to be spelled out. That, and people are just careless"

Haha..., seems that way doesn't it, (being taught to suck eggs in public announcements etc), and yes, careless, thoughtless, but such an impact as a result...

Brandon wrote: "organisers do remind participants to 'Leave no trace' in every event I've been to"

That needs backing up with actual action though, a DQ for participants littering under whatever circumstances, and if found to be blatant littering, a ban and to send a message, information given to, and prosecution by the relevant gov dept. A zero tolerance in other words,as the trails are absolutely shocking these days and drastic action is required.

Pk101 wrote: "Littering in general should not be tolerated, like you, if anybody blatantly threw something away in front of me I would speak up. Thankfully I havent had the opportunity."

Thankfully? Considering the amount of litter and on easy access trails, dog sh*t, i'm thankful for the opportunity as how else can people be reminded that what they do or don't do impacts others!?

Pk101 wrote:"Taking care of the trails and the environment should start with the individual. My bag is always full of small plastic bags that Ive recycled from home (such as bread bun bags) which are used for dealing with my rubbish. I empty them at home or at the first opportunity."

You sir are a top-man and many appreciate your action, thank you! You might have noticed that your behaviour is catching as i am now aware of others doing this also, having taken the cue from good people like yourself. Thanks again!

all_tha_rage wrote: "I do, and will continue to call people when I see them littering"

I took it from what you originally wrote that you saw people littering and did nothing. I stand corrected and yes, appreciate you going to the effort of starting the thread on this topic to highlight it. Thanks.

whammer wrote: " Interesting, it seems we get pretty irate about litter and are willing to be downright confrontational about it. On the other hand, we don't give a monkeys about those scaring the living daylights out of hikers and shredding trails, still.....'Everybody must do their bit !!!!'."

This thread is about littering on trails, not about obnoxious trail users (who exist both on foot and on two wheels on the trails). If that thread didn't receive any interest or feedback that you approved of,(i.e. yes, obliviot riding or running on the trails is/does exist), or there was no thread on the subject started, go ahead and start one.

That problem has been around since different speed users of trails existed, and is something i have experienced first hand as a hiker, biker and runner, both in and out of competition on open access trails. No excuses, no one has right of way or preference privileges but common sense (sadly not so common ...) usually should help people navigate past each other safely on, up/down the trails. I you are wearing headphones though, you're fair game to recieve a surprise! Haha!!

YW-Slayer wrote: "Don't be a dick."

Amen! That simple really...

YW-Slayerwrote: "Having said that, would the world implode if a cigarette smoking DHer (who is also a 30-50yo Chinese construction worker) scared a littering, cigarette-smoking gweilo hiker?"

In a physical sense i'm not sure of the ramifications of two negative forces meeting like that? Would the earth wobble off it's axis at such powerful negative forces colliding...?
Haha...

5 years 2 months ago #3328 by psycholist
Replied by psycholist on topic Littering on the trails
blackcolour wrote: "Since the Smoking (Public Health) Ordinance became part of the law, which effectively forbidden smoking in most public places, all country parks are deemed a non-smoking area. Meaning that, in case you don't know, having a lighted cigarette is illegal."

That i did not know, i stand corrected then re. the legality of smoking in CP's.

I wrote: "i am not bothered by the secondhand smoke from someones smoking, as outdoors on a trail, i can simply move upwind or away from them."

Translation: I am not bothered by the smoke because i move away or upwind of their smoke if on a trail, therefore not being bothered by it anymore because after moving, i am not breathing their smoke in.

Indoors or in a constricted space, I do not have that choice, so would then have a problem, and i would surely have words with someone if they sat down next to me on the side of the trail and sparked up a tab. My views make sense now?

If i see a fellow with a tanned upper body but pasty white legs tied to a tree in August, i'll know you had been nearby recently and meted out some justice, "blackcolour" style. Respect!!
;-7

5 years 2 months ago #3330 by blackcolour
Replied by blackcolour on topic Littering on the trails
psycholist,

While I understand where you are getting at, I cannot agree. Smoking is illegal within the boundaries of a country park, and simply because one can "move away or upwind of their smoke if on a trail" does not make their offence tolerable. Allow me to apple the same logic to littering in the country parks: just because some one litter where you can't see it (behind a bush or down a steep slope) does not in any way make it less offensive.

Practically speaking, when you are riding or resting on the trail, if a biker/hiker comes along while having a fag, you have the choice to move off. But why should you have to be the victim of second smoke even out in the open? I was resting at the picnic area of tai lam chung reservoir the other day after a long dash, sitting at a picnic table and suddenly I could smell cigarette smoke coming my way. I found two bikers (in lycra fashion) having a fag right next to the pavilion. I therefore went to them and suggested that they should extinguish the fags because it is against the law to smoke inside a country park. They accepted, did the right thing and all was well.

I'm not going to get into a physical fight with these people if they refuse. So if you see someone with a tanned upper body and banana for legs tied up on a tree, I won't be responsible for it. :laugh:

5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #3331 by all_tha_rage
All good points from everyone!

I sincerely believe that the problem lies with the individuals who conduct themselves with a complete lack of respect for their actions and the effect they have. Putting rubbish bins on trails is not an option for the reasons mentioned in psycholist's previous post, and neither is having government workers cleaning up after lazy, ignorant cyclists and pedestrians of the country parks (and anywhere else for that matter).
The thought of having somebody else to clean up after you is beyond my comprehension?!

If you take something on to the trails with you, take it OUT!

I hope that in the future people will become more environmentally aware, and consider what this planet is going to look like in years to come if we don't start changing bad habits such as polluting, and littering. Here we are writing about problems with litter; imagine what it will look like in 50 or 60 years....... Serious food for thought.

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
Time to create page: 0.447 seconds
© Hong Kong Mountain Bike Association. All Rights Reserved.