× HKMBA Mountain Biking Advocacy 香港越野單車協進會

Dragons Back - did I miss something?

5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #3366 by solarider
I am new to HK. I am used to riding in the UK and like riding fast flowing trails.

I logged on here, applied for my permit and since I am living island side, set off for the Dragons Back trail on Sunday morning as a starting point for riding off road in and around HK. Not sure if I missed something?

I parked up near the prison. Started off carrying the bike up steps. Rode for a bit, dismounted to cross streams, rode for a bit, dismounted to cross boulders. And so it went on until I finally had to dismount to descend the long staircase down to Shek O road after a not very long ride, where I actually enjoyed the road climb back to the prison more than the off ride along what I thought was the trail.

I think I found the trail, but on reflection I am not sure. Most of it wasn't rideable. Lots of bike carrying and not much pedaling. Really big boulders, steep steps etc. linked together with very short sections of twisty singletrack.

Does what I have described sound like the Dragons Back? Is the Dragons Back typical of trails over here? In terms of getting a decent 50kms of riding in, where the vast majority is spent riding, is there anywhere better? I have a car, so travelling to the trailhead isn't a problem.

On a similar topic, are there any groups rides out that I can tag along with? Maybe exploring on my own I will continue to miss the good stuff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 1 month ago #3367 by yeti575
Nope, you did not miss anything...unless you did not actually do the hike-a-bike section which takes you up to the lookout where you have fantastic views of Big Wave Bay and Shek-O. Regardless, as a riding destination, Dragons back is a very poor introduction. Great for casual hikers, but MANY better options for 'real' riding. Best riding is in the New Territories - Tai Mo Shan and Tai Lam area. Great mix of all mountain, XC and downhill.

If you not sure if you went the right way, check out some pics of my last ride at Dragons Back here:

plus.google.com/112151996060939268652/posts/SDQFiMV1yy1

...like I said...great views...put very poor riding.

Happy to show you some trails in Tai Mo Shan next time im out there...probably next week / weekend at this stage.

Cheers
Josh
The following user(s) said Thank You: YW-Slayer, Pk101, solarider

5 years 1 month ago #3368 by Pk101
Dragons Back is a rude awakening to Mtb'ing in HK.

Its possible to loop back on the contour but still not what you would consider "flowing single track"

Get over to Tai Mo Shan, park at Route Twisk and enjoy the various trails from there. Most weekends weather permitting, you're likely to see van's full of biker unloading and blasting down the best trails in HK.

Ive managed (with help) 50k's regularly in Tai Lam Country Park on a given day. Be prepared for road climbs and wicked downhills. You wont regret it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: solarider

5 years 1 month ago #3369 by solarider
Thanks both.

Makes me feel a bit more confident thank mountain biking nirvana lies across the Victoria Harbour!

Yeti - I just dropped you an email about a ride in the NT.

Andrew

5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #3370 by YW-Slayer
I wrote a long reply yesterday but Leechblock erased it.

Anyway, Yeti and pk are correct. Another good option is Chi Ma Wan, although that's pretty technical in parts and is a bit like a longer version of the Dragon's Back mixed with bits of Tai Lam Chung. The latter also gets my vote as the best fast, flowing ride in HK. The other good thing is that you can park at the Gold Coast and cycle up to the part of the loop near the Prison, do as many rounds as you like, then head back to the Gold Coast for some food and R&R. There's even a hotel nearby if you really want to splash out!!

Also, I find that the best way to enjoy the DB is to treat the Contour line as an interval training/fast loop section similar to what you'd find in a trail centre. The Ridge line I've never managed to ride fully as some of it is very tough (I think probably Red Bull level) and there are almost always hikers on it (even at 7am).

5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #3386 by pilGrim
I ride dragon back a lot just due to convenience since I live on HK island. Your description sounds like you missed the left turn up the hill to the actual back of the dragon. From trail head at correction facility about 10 to 15 min in you find a staircase that goes up, or you can continue on. Climb the staircase up tot he top and then ride the ridge for a bit and then you get the fun downhill. I then loop back towards correctional facility, eventually passing the stairs that go up to ridge (which is now on the right). Dragon Back is not optimal but it does give a good work out if you ride and climb hard. Also the down hill from the very top is fun.

I would also add that weekends on Dragon Back are no fun due to number of hikers on the trail, better to take of early from work on a weekday and ride the trail. I do that every other week or so and I typically only see 2 to 5 people on the entire ride.

I need make more effort to experience the HoPui and other trails to the north.

Cheers.

5 years 1 month ago #3387 by blackcolour
I live on the Island and to be honest I've only been to Dragon's Back twice - I'd much rather drive all the way to Tai Lam Chung or Tai Mo Shan for fun. As others have said, Dragons Back is pretty much un-ridable because of the number of hikers present. They are all friendly, understanding (that this is a mtb route) and will swiftly move to one side if they see you, but still it really saps the fun out of it.

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
Time to create page: 0.914 seconds
© Hong Kong Mountain Bike Association. All Rights Reserved.