× HKMBA Mountain Biking Advocacy 香港越野單車協進會

Topic-icon 3 weeks in HK, how to get some biking in?

4 years 7 months ago #3400

• Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • Hi
    I'm due to come to Hong Kong for 3 weeks shortly (8th October onwards), I would like to explore some of the local bike trails if possible and so plan to head down and get a permit as soon as I can once on HK soil
    - where is best to hire a bike, and how much?
    - how is best to then get bike to start of a ride (I don't think I will have a car)?
    - are there any organised rides I could join or anyone want to show me around?
    - where would be best to ride for a day?
    - should I bring my own helmet / pedals / shoes?

Any other advise on non bike things to do would also be appreciated, never been here before

Please Log in to join the conversation.

4 years 7 months ago #3401

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• Thank you received: 16

• To help me and perhaps some others assist in answering some of your questions:

1. What are you most keen on riding e.g. XC, AM, DH?

2. Other than a full-day outing, which you canvas in your penultimate question, how long (# of hrs) do you think you will have to ride, and on what day?

In relation to your last question, I think it's always a good idea to bring one's own helmet/pedal/shoes. At least the shoes, since you are usually able to rent bikes with SPDs but most people won't rent you shoes.

The following user(s) said Thank You: iain1775

4 years 7 months ago #3402

• Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Guess it depends on what type of bikes are available for hire - wouldn't want to do DH on a v braked hardtail!
    XC or AM really I imagine, competent with reasonably technical trails (by UK standards anyway) and have done a bit of (slow) DH in the past so not concerned about a bit of gravity
    Probably only have time weekends or maybe an evening (what time it get dark over there at this time of year?) and anything on offer of interest, I imagine heat and humidity will be more than I'm used to and I'm not that fit at the moment so that might limit things
    Really just want to get out and explore a bit

There was an article on HK in one of the British mags a few months ago (poss mbuk) it looked like a good scene you have over there, although when I read it never envisaged actually ever being in a position to come over

4 years 7 months ago #3403

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• Thank you received: 16

• OK, cool.

Bike hire I'm not terribly familiar with as I have my own, but there are a few listed on this page:

hkmba.org/index.php/mountain-biking-in-hk/bike-rental

For XC, I think the Tai Lam Chung Reservoir Loop is always good fun and is doable on a capable hardtail or FS bike with minimal travel. Proper AM I'm not sure about, but for stuff in-between XC and AM why not try the new trails at the top of Route Twisk etc.

Mornings are usually quite full, but in my (limited) experience there isn't usually anyone on the trails on weekend afternoons, particularly in the Tai Lam Chung/Route Twisk area.

Weather should be OK by Oct - maybe equivalent to a warm English summer day. Just make sure you have plenty of water and so on. It gets dark say around 7pm even around that time.

The location you may want to ride may also be determined by where you are staying - HK or KLN? Transport to/from trails will always be an issue but if you can hook up with 1-2 groups of riders and share a rental van for uplift, that may help. Otherwise, you can take the bike by train and get a taxi if needs be.

4 years 7 months ago #3405

• Thank you received: 8

• Hey Iain, Feel free to shoot me a quick email I run www.crosscountryhk.com and can sort you out with a decent bike, permit application (if you're from overseas), transport & take you to some cool places that will suit your level of riding. Tai Lam as Slayer commented is by far the biggest playground having something for all types of rider. -Bring your lights to if you have space as there's also some awesome night riding to be had!

Steve

www.crosscountryhk.com
    Facebook link

The following user(s) said Thank You: iain1775

4 years 7 months ago #3406

• Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• Thank you received:

• hi Steve, will do as soon as everything is booked and I know where and when I am, its a work trip so typically very last minute
    cheers

Moderators: bikestevebrandon