× HKMBA Mountain Biking Advocacy 香港越野單車協進會

Topic-icon MTB in HK

3 years 8 months ago #3495

• Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • Hello HKMBA,

I will be in HK for a business and leisure trip from May 26 to June 6.

Over the weekends, May 31 and June 1 (Saturday and Sunday), I plan to visit the trails so I'll bring my HT bike.

I understand that a permit is necessary. Are there other documents/requirements needed? Can I also use my bike to commute around HK?

I'm new to this site so please feel free to send me links or reference materials.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best,

- Louie Sangalang

Please Log in to join the conversation.

3 years 8 months ago #3497

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• Thank you received: 16

• Hello - a permit is enough.

You can certainly use your bike to commute around HK, but just be careful. Not all public transport is welcoming of bicycles, even folded bicycles. For more information on that, and commuting, you can have a look at the "Transportation Guide" above under "MTB in HK", and can also contact the Hong Kong Cycling Alliance.

The following user(s) said Thank You: LS

3 years 7 months ago #3501

• Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Thank you YW-Slayer.

Arrived in HK yesterday and since I'm only here for 10 working days, decided not to bring my bike anymore. I have gotten in touch with one of the bike tour operators (crosscountry.hk) since last week but haven't received any response.

Any other recommendations? Lamma Island/Lantau Island seem very interesting.

I can rent from the Friendly Bikeshop, correct?

3 years 7 months ago #3502

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• Thank you received: 16

• I think Steve of crosscountry.hk may be out of town this week, but I'm sure he'll write back to you soon.

WIth Friendly, they do sometimes say to people over the phone that they don't rent. But the impression I got was that they are flexible, and if you are earnest enough over the phone (or, obviously, in person!), they will mention that they do rent. They have a limited number of "properly" off-road capable bikes though.

For the island or NT, you can try one of the other operators mentioned on the website.

3 years 7 months ago #3503

• Thank you received: 8

• Hi Louie,
    I've just sent you a quick email, my original reply may of ended up in your Spam folder as there were a few links in it..

Cheers Steve
    CrosscountryHK

Moderators: bikestevebrandon