Topic-icon Bike storage in HK

8 years 7 months ago #1014

• Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • Hi all,

Short introduction;
    I'm a graduating student in the Netherlands (cycling paradise compared to Hongkong), who's been offered the task of designing a recumbent bicycle for the people of Hongkong.
    (a recumbent bicycle is a roadbike, comfortable and fast for those who are unfamiliar with them, also see link below)

Now, as these bikes are normally quite large, and probably allways are an additional bicycle (next to a standard or racing bike), I was wondering how you manage bike storage right now?

I've read (also here on hkmba) that parking bicycles outside (in public places) is illegal and parking in stairways/halls of buildings or parking at car parks is also often illegal. I've heard some people store their bikes in the trunks of their cars. If so; what cars do you have? How do you stuff an ordinary bike in there?

So, if you (would) own several bicycles, how do you store them? Where in house are they put? Do you have any additional tricks for storing them as compact as possible? If you could illustrate this via a photo, I'd really appreciate this!

Please do not refrain from giving (any!) suggestions, or telling me what's most frustrating about your current situation or bikes. Your wish is my command ;)

Your replies may help me design a very practical bicycle; easy and compact to store! The bike would eventually be offered via www.velocityracers.com (Science Park, N.T.)

Thank you very much!
    a Dutch student

PS
    I hope I didn't offend anyone posting this, not living in HK and not being a MTB fanatic. But, your replies may help me a lot!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

8 years 7 months ago #1015

• Thank you received: 8

• Hi,

There are a large number of 'bike park' areas in the newer suburbs of kowloon, whilst you're ok parking a relatively inexpensive bike for a few days, an expensive machine will be stripped or stolen in no time -same the world over I guess. The biggest problem however is the amount of cheaper bikes that just end up abandoned & rotting in the bike park areas, these far out number daily parked bikes and finding a vacant bay is almost impossible.

One of the shops near Tung Chung www.sunnybike.com.hk on Lantau has your perfect answer, they store your bike for $30 a month and offer changing room and a locker, even a shower I think. Great for the recreational rider not so for your daily commuter.

The storage answer for me an owner of about 10 bikes is the pole that holds two bikes one on top of the other. In a room about 10'x 8' I still just about have room to swing a cat (although she's not very happy about it!). I've also hung bikes from the ceiling before on a self made hook & anchor system.

8 years 7 months ago #1016

• Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Thank you very much for your answer!

Does that shop (sunnybike) also offer its service for bicycles that were not bought there? I can imagine it could be a smart way to increase both sales and customer binding.

BTW, you don't happen to have a photo of that room, do you?

Last Edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Dutch Cyclist.

8 years 7 months ago #1017

• Sunny the owner of the shop is very accomodating, most of his business is selling components anyway so no problems storing bikes bought elsewhere.

Let me get back to you tomorrow with a picture, the room desperately needs tidying up!

8 years 7 months ago #1026

• Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Trying not to be rude; but could you please post that photo? :)

It would be very nice to include in my report.

Thanks!

8 years 7 months ago #1027

• Sorry, forgot...

Not sure if this will work but:

Attachments:

8 years 7 months ago #1028

• and in the living room...

Attachments:

8 years 7 months ago #1029

• Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Thank you very much for the photos!

Are these racks/poles commonly available (and at what price?)?
    And, do you know if they are used a lot by fellow enthusiasts?

Last Edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Dutch Cyclist.

8 years 7 months ago #1030

• About HK$250 I think, most bike shops will have them or at least something similar as space is an issue with bike owners in HK.

8 years 6 months ago #1040

• Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• Thank you received:

• One thought re. recumbants is that Hong Kong is very hilly and navigating traffic / visibility to cars is a real issue. Recumbants are far from optimal for hills or traffic. The only place I can think of where a recumbant may be of use is the bike paths of Tai Po / Tung Chung but then the wobbling beginners pose almost as much a navigating threat as a car...

As for storage in HK the solution I would really like is a well priced storage box / shed suitable for the many outdoor terraces / balconies in HK that would be sealed to protect the bike from the elements- esp. the humidity & typhoons.

I think the reality for most the riders I know is that they have to put aside some indoor space for their bikes. I contemplated a Hi-Ace van with bikes in the back but with local parking at #3000 HK / month this was too expensive.

Disclaimer: I may be slightly prejudiced as someone who has an aversion to folding bikes and recumbants but I'd love for you to prove me wrong!

Moderators: bikestevebrandon