× Biking Activism 協進討論

Topic-icon Court conviction for being caught with a bicycle in Tai Tam Country Park

5 years 8 months ago #2641

• Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • Hello everyone,

I have just been caught riding a mountain bike 300m after the entrance of Tai Tam Country Park near Park View residence by 3 HK Country Park Rangers this afternoon with a friend.
    Honestly, we were going fast and we did not see the panel at the entrance, neither I knew about this bicylcling ban in HK Country Parks and the permit. However that may be, the rangers were particularly stubborn and did not want to let us leave the park, they took our names and adresses and told us we will receive later on a summon asking us to go to Court (!), and that there will be a hearing with a lawyer and so on...

Apart from the fact it sounds really ridiculous (a simple fine on the spot would have been more appropriate), does anyone within HKMBA has already experienced such a conviction ?
    Basically I would like to know what will be the practical consequences: how long after the fact do we receive the summon, does the HK justice really consider this offence as serious or is it just a kind of "theatrical" hearing ? Is there really a lawyer ? How much will be the fine ? It looks like it can be maximum 2,000 HKD or 3 months of prison, but the rangers told us vaguely it will be 300 HKD.

Thanks in advance for any reply !

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 8 months ago #2642

• Thank you received: 8

• From anecdotal evidence its a day off work for a court appearance and a $300 slap on the wrist for a first offense. -No criminal record although I think if you get caught again the fine is increased.
    HK Island rangers are notorious for frequent patrols/busts, some may be outwitted by a sudden failure on your part to speak English or Cantonese :-)

5 years 8 months ago #2643

• Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Thanks a lot for your quick reply and all these details.
    No criminal record (at least !) so I guess no need to worry if we are HK SFC licensed representative right (you never know !) ?

5 years 8 months ago #2650

• Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

• Thank you received: 1

• Well if you can afford it, might want to give it a try.... read the following thread

hkmba.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&fu...1&id=2621&Itemid=166

5 years 8 months ago #2663

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• Thank you received: 16

• First offence should be a minor fine, around HK$300-500 sounds about right. If you're planning to plead guilty (which looks likely and seems to be your best option), just do a quick mitigation by expressing contrition. Not sure about saying that you were going fast and that you didn't see the panel at the entrance though.

5 years 8 months ago #2664

• Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Not a big deal the 1st time, but the best is always to speak your native language and not a word of English or Cantonese.

Here's my trick to avoid many troubles in Hong Kong: "je n'ai pas mes papiers. Mon passeport est a l'hotel" ( /e: "i don't have document. my passport is in the hotel"). That normaly finish in pronouncing again and again with a nice smile and with the worst French accent possible "PASSPORT-HOTEL, EUUUUUUUHHHHH, ... SORRY MONSIEUR".

If you are English or Cantonese speaker only, just learn a bit a French to save your time when in troubles.

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
    You are here: Home Forum 討論區 HKMBA Riders forum Biking Activism 協進討論 Court conviction for being caught with a bicycle in Tai Tam Country Park