× Trails 越野路徑

Topic-icon Offroad Trail for Beginners / Semi Experienced Riders

5 years 8 months ago #2944

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • Hello there!

Last time my friends and I rented some bikes in Mui Wo and took on the Chi Ma Wan loop.
    We are fairly inexperienced riders, so you can guess that the trail was a bit too much for us.
    However, we liked the offroad parts of the trail, etc.
    So here's my question, we need to rent bikes and would love to ride on an offroad trail that is a bit more beginner friendly.
    Can you suggest a trail to me that solves the two problems of being able to rent a good enough mountain bike + a beginner friendly trail? In case not possible, maybe a trail that can be reached by taxi instead? I.e. carrying the bikes with the car and then start from the top or something similar. We got permits. Thanks for your help!

Last Edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Lennart Finkeldey.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 8 months ago #2945

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• Thank you received: 16

• The most beginner-friendly trails are the green and blue on Route Twisk. Then you can head to the new Tin Man (blue), and after that go hit the Tai Lam Chung route. The only problem is that there are no bikes for rent nearby, and you should probably take a taxi up to the start. I mean, you could cycle up to the start, but it'll probably take at least 40 minutes from the bottom of Tsuen Wan.

Otherwise, just do the offroad part of the Tai Lam Chung route, which can be easily reached by bike from the Gold Coast/Tuen Mun. Only thing is you'll have to rent a bike from someone there. I suspect there must be some bike shops in Tuen Mun/Yuen Long who will be able to rent decent bikes.

5 years 8 months ago #2951

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Hello YW-Slayer,

Thanks for your reply! Tai Lam Chung really looks like a good trail from the videos I have seen on youtube and we will probably try it. Just one more question, do you think it is long enough for a day? I.e. how long do you estimate is the trail in kilometers / riding time for semi beginners?

5 years 8 months ago #2952

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• I think a semi-beginner can probably do almost all of the off-road portion in about 40 minutes (one-way from East to West, or West to East).

5 years 8 months ago #2953

• Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

• Thank you received: 9

• YW-Slayer wrote: I think a semi-beginner can probably do almost all of the off-road portion in about 40 minutes (one-way from East to West, or West to East).

I ride with a semi-beginner female friend and that section of Tai Lam Reservoir, from picnic area to picnic area takes around 1 hour 20 minutes... according to the GPS. 40 minutes to do the trail part means you could do the concrete half in about 20 minutes. A whole lap in 1 hour... that's a reasonable race pace for an averagely fit rider. :P

5 years 8 months ago #2954

• Thank you received: 8

• If you wanted to turn it more into a 3-4 hr excursion I'd recommend starting at Route Twisk doing the two beginner trails at the top, then ride down the Maclehose (road) to the Tin Fu Tsai North Trail which is also beginner friendly. After this head down again on the Maclehose to the trail side of the reservoir and out to the Gold Coast, total distance around 20km.

I've taken heaps of groups out this year on this very trip, drop me line if you're interested as I do have the bikes and logistics nailed down.

Steve

5 years 8 months ago #2955

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Hey Steve, Stanley and YW-Slayer,

Many thanks for all the valuable information.
    Indeed, my friends and I would rather have a day trip than an hour-trip. Especially considering all the logistics required to go to the Tuen Mun area.
    I have been checking out the Road Twisk section on Google Maps. There seems to be some sort of a forest trail which I also found on one of the official mountain bike trail maps.

On the attached file you can see me trying to re-draw the section. Is this a semi-beginner friendly part of the trail that my friends and I could take on? I assume mostly off-road.
    As for the rest of the reservoir trails, I would assume they are fairly easy to get to and we wouldn't get lost too easily.

Steve, what is it about the bikes, because we are still looking for places to rent them for day trips. Do you have bikes or know where we could look for some hardtail or maybe even full suspension bikes available for rent?

Attachments:

5 years 8 months ago #2956

• Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

• Thank you received: 9

• Steve's probably working right now, though having used Steve's services in the past (prior to me getting an MTB in Hong Kong after a very long non-cycling lull), he's got quite a nice fleet of bikes proper hardtail (can't remember which) and bouncy-both-ends bikes (Giant Anthems, IIRC).

Ask him about a full day-trip. Logistically, you can probably meet up with Steve at Tsuen Wan West (West Rail line) MTR station. Then he can drive you guys up Route Twisk.

Am sure Steve will chime in if I've mis-lead you with non-current information. ;)

5 years 8 months ago #2958

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• Yeah, sorry, 40 minutes one-way is from the waterfall to the picnic area in the East. It cuts out the random off-road bit beyond the waterfall which is OK but not spectacularly fun, as well as the hike-a-bike section over or past the waterfall, which is not fun (but which does get you to a pool you can relax in).

If you're up for a full-day - or even a half-day - outing, I would highly recommend that you go with Steve. As Stanley has said, he has all of the necessary bikes and equipment (he doesn't do bike rental only), and the route he has recommended is also what I recommended (I actually did it only because of him, previously only just rode TLC) and you'll get some great pointers.

More importantly, Steve's courses are also excellent value particularly when you factor in not only the above, but his excellent coaching - very useful even for more advanced riders including intermediate or even higher-level people - and the excellent support he offers.

5 years 8 months ago #2960

• Thank you received: 8

• Hi Lennart,
    If i'm honest I wouldn't totally recommend the 'Forest Trail' (or Ho Pui Trail) as being beginner friendly for a 'first' ride. The first section from Route Twisk is really DH bike territory with the main contour home to a number of perilous stream crossings early on. -True it does have some easier sections but overall I think you'd be far better on the original Maclehose route first time out.

Take a glance at my website for full details at Crosscountryhk.com and feel free to drop me a line via this, one slight problem is i'm super busy right now but still have about three weekends free before new year thisn particular trip fills about 4-5 hrs.

My other recommendation would be speak to Noven at YY Bike in Fotan about bike rentals, they have Giant Yukons and for an extra fee they may be able to help you with transport i.e. deliver to Tai Mo Shan and pick up at the Gold Coast. -I would go there in person just to make sure the bikes they allocate for you are working fine.

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
    You are here: Home Forum 討論區 HKMBA Riders forum Trails 越野路徑 Offroad Trail for Beginners / Semi Experienced Riders