× Trails 越野路徑

Topic-icon Offroad Trail for Beginners / Semi Experienced Riders

5 years 8 months ago #2961

• Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • If you're eager to hit up the trails, I had a great experience today renting a mtb from wecycles in Yuen Long. The shop has a handful of Giants for rent varying in sizes, 26", hardtail and FS. For half a day, until 3pm, I paid $50HK. The shop owner was very accomodating and threw on some SPDs for me.

I started MTBing this summer and went riding every weekend. What I lack in techincal skills I make up with stamina. I'm pretty conservative in my riding and found the trail to be very accessible. Mostly flat, with fun rock gardens towards the end of the trail. The stai

rs, however, were a bit much. The concrete section was fine, well worth the scenic views of the reservoir. Just make sure you don't miss the sharp left turn, lest you find yourself going through the corrections facilities and local village. With all the wrong turns leaving the city and the brief detour through the village it took me about three hours to/from the bike shop.

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 8 months ago #2962

• Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

• Thank you received: 9

• I knew loads of hire bicycle shops opened in Yuen Long recently, though didn't realise they had usable MTBs at We Cycle. Anyway, from there, you can ride into Tai Lam Country Park to the picnic area at the start of the offroad trail on road like so: goo.gl/maps/mNIXR

Familiarise yourself with the route in Google Streetview. The bit along the drainage canal is low traffic, so not a hazard even though there is no cycle lane. It'll be a ~140m climb on paved road to actually get into Tai Lam Reservoir proper. Riding in that direction should take about 45min~1hour in and 25min~45min out. A lazy ride around the reservoir with breaks for food (carry yourself) and water will take about 2~2.5hours. So a good day's worth of beginner riding there.

5 years 8 months ago #2967

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Hi Steve, thank you for your recommendation.
    Also StanleyJ and sassythebike, that's great information! Very happy with all you people's help! I am looking forward to the rides~ =) Have a nice day everyone!

5 years 7 months ago #2980

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Hi guys,

Thanks again for all your valuable information on the trails and how to get there.
    My friends and me did the ride on last Sunday and it was nothing short of expectations.
    Lot's of friendly MTB'ers along the trail with helpful insights and further help and how to get where we wanted.
    We ended riding the Tai Lam Chung trail next to the reservoir. It was really a nice ride, not too difficult although I fell to the ground once after a vertical stone made the bike stop in a split second.
    We also met a fellow MTB'er who suggested us to use your services Steve. ;-) We tried to follow him on the trail but the guy was just really fast.

Steve, will let you know next time we are planning to to MTB'ing and use some more quality bikes, especially looking forward to FS before buying a bike from one of the brands.

5 years 7 months ago #2981

• Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

• Lennart Finkeldey wrote: We also met a fellow MTB'er who suggested us to use your services Steve. ;-)

Ah... were you the group of 3(4?) German guys I saw at the "hike-a-bike" section at the end of the dirt trail/before the main dam? I was the one with the green bike of this colour -> :sick: :sick: :sick:

:woohoo: B)

5 years 7 months ago #2982

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Hey Stanley,

Quite possible. We were the 3 reckless Germans, riding without helmets or other safety equipment. ;-)
    Needless to say that we felt quite embarrassed upon our teenage rebelliousness.

Warning: getimagesize(/home/hkmba/www/www/media/kunena/ranks/hkmba logo_211.png): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/hkmba/www/www/libraries/kunena/user/user.php on line 902
    5 years 7 months ago #2983

Warning: getimagesize(/home/hkmba/www/www/media/kunena/ranks/hkmba logo_211.png): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/hkmba/www/www/libraries/kunena/user/user.php on line 902

• HKMBA
  • HKMBA

• Thank you received: 7

• At least visit this site before you ride Tai Lam without a helmet again: www.organdonation.gov.hk/

5 years 7 months ago #2984

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Hey Tom!
    Sure, will do that. After all, I got a clean lung and heart. My liver might not be as useful. But who knows.

5 years 7 months ago #2985

• Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

• Lennart Finkeldey wrote: 3 reckless Germans

No such thing exists! I call shenanigans... ;)

5 years 7 months ago #2986

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• Thank you received: 16

• It's all relative. ;)

Yes, definitely try and book a session with Steve at some point if you can.

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
    You are here: Home Forum 討論區 HKMBA Riders forum Trails 越野路徑 Offroad Trail for Beginners / Semi Experienced Riders