× Trails 越野路徑

AFCD "improvement" or trail vandalism at Tai Lam Chung?

5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #2965 by StanleyJ
It was last Wednesday since I rode around Tai Lam Reservoir until today and noticed the step-down/drop-off on the end of the hike-a-bike section has been flattened and just rolls off now... like so:

When it used to be like this (well, this time last year):

Curiously, there was an AA race just yesterday... so question is, was the drop-off still there yesterday? If it wasn't, who got rid of it? If is was "safety"... then it's a case of 6-of-one/half-dozen-of-the-other... as with the berm just 5m up the trail, you can hit that at warp factor 10, with less risk to the rider, though more risk for anyone else.

So question is... whodunnit and why? :angry:

PS: As that bit was one of my favourite more techy bits on the reservoir loop...
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 11 months ago #2966 by ang
I remember this part; its a few stone steps. If you take the left, you can ride off the small stone (3rd from the top), or take the right and take a bigger drop. It's no fun to flatten out the trail, it aint offroad.

5 years 11 months ago #2968 by JaspHK
It wasn't there last Thursday either (I was practicing for the weekend).

Looks like it may have been amended for the AA XC race.

On Sunday, I approached it at my usual rate of knots coming out of the berm and then played the "will or I won't I have the cohones to launch from the drop off" game in my head as I always do... :unsure:

Having made the split second decision to opt for the chicken approach (i.e. hammer the brakes on, backside back over wheel and drop the front wheel in slowly) I was surprised to see that it had been "smoothed out"...

If it was done for the AA XC, I only wish they'd given the same treatment to half of CMW for the previous day's race! :P

5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #2969 by YW-Slayer
Yeah, CMW was pretty brutal (though maybe I just suck. Or maybe both!).

5 years 11 months ago #2970 by StanleyJ
Hmmm. Went for a ride with bikesteve once around Chi Ma Wan and don't remember it being evil technical... certainly not the level of evilness at Ho Pui (downhill run from Twisk, the reservoir loop, or Ho Pui Pass into Tai Lam)? :S :whistle:

Anyway... back to the Tai Lam Reservoir modification... I concede that the original step was actually man-made... though clearing it and making that part of the trail very fast is a bit silly considering the trail is mixed use (bikers/hikers/runners). :side:

5 years 11 months ago #2971 by JaspHK
CMW not Technical...?!?!? :blink: :huh:

5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #2972 by StanleyJ

JaspHK wrote: CMW not Technical...?!?!? :blink: :huh:

Unless bikesteve took me to some other Chi Ma Wan? :P There are definitely bits more difficult than those at Tai Lam... however Ho Pui (reservoir loop) has such lovely features as:

Looking down... not so bad?

Here's looking back up...

Oh... and the drop to the side is 30ft+ on to bare pointy rocks. Make a mistake and it's a helicopter out... and that's just hiking the bike across it. :P
Attachments:

5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #2973 by YW-Slayer
Can't say I recognise that part as part of the Reservoir Loop - surely that's part of the Ho Pui/Forest Trail, which can be pretty tough? If so, then I think Steve and I did that part a few weeks back. Or maybe we just skipped that part.

5 years 11 months ago #2974 by tom
Vandalism or not, you now have your chance to carve your name in a trail

Trail building workshops resume in Dec. Check the site front page for more details.

BTW, I recognise that trail. Most folks head up the stairs towards the Tin Fu TSai North trail and other routes like the hornet rather than continue straight towards those rocky sections. I think I broke a helmet near there back in the late 90s

5 years 11 months ago #2975 by StanleyJ

YW-Slayer wrote: Can't say I recognise that part as part of the Reservoir Loop - surely that's part of the Ho Pui/Forest Trail, which can be pretty tough? If so, then I think Steve and I did that part a few weeks back. Or maybe we just skipped that part.

tom wrote: Vandalism or not, you now have your chance to carve your name in a trail

Trail building workshops resume in Dec. Check the site front page for more details.

BTW, I recognise that trail. Most folks head up the stairs towards the Tin Fu TSai North trail and other routes like the hornet rather than continue straight towards those rocky sections. I think I broke a helmet near there back in the late 90s

Sorry... the forum was mangling attachments when the files have the same name. I think I've fixed it now.

@YW-Slayer/@Tom: The photo from the second set is indeed part of the Ho Pui trail. As Tom says, that rocky section is the bit "nearest" the dam if you cycle up Ho Pui. Take the trail without crossing the dam, then when you reach a junction, the left path goes up to the rocky section (also the end of Hornet) and straight on goes along Ho Pui pass to Tai Lam. If you come down from Twisk, it's the bit if you carry on looping the Ho Pui reservoir clockwise, rather than turning right and down the final section of Ho Pui downhill. If you come down from Tin Fu Tsai, it's where you end up if you turn left, rather than right. As for Hornet itself, attempted to ride it a couple weeks ago... however the latter half was completely overgrown and was hike-a-bike as the vegetation was so thick couldn't even push a bike through. :S Also Tom has mail... though have the AFCD really not given any hints where the work will be? I saw the AFCD workers earlier on in the year and they said there would be another downhill pointing trail... didn't say where though... figured they might have decided by now? :woohoo:

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
Time to create page: 0.995 seconds
© Hong Kong Mountain Bike Association. All Rights Reserved.