× Trails 越野路徑

Topic-icon Suggest Tai Lam Trail CP Improvements Here

5 years 1 month ago #3139

• Thank you received: 4

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • I don't think anyone will complain about the new line that climbs past those rocks ... it was always a b&%^ to get up. As for the covered roots, remember this is also a hiking trail - lots of events, like Trailwalker, are held overnight, and roots like those are lethal when all you have to see with is a tiny headlamp.

We talked to AFCD about a number of measures for this section that could avoid user conflict - such as reroutes for MTB'ers that bypass the stairs and avoiding blind corners where there may be collisions. Generally, making it safer, more rideable, and more fun.

What you guys can do is take photos like these at locations that need work / re-routing, and we can compile a list of proposed improvements for the next phase of trailwork. They've got the money allocated for this already - we just need to help them prioritize what needs doing.

If you can, include a GPS location/coordinates when you take the photo, so we can give precise locations [rather than 'that rocky bit after you have to push past the ledge after the jump' etc.]

Thanks guys,

Brandon

Last Edit: 5 years 1 month ago by brandon. Reason: typo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 1 month ago #3140

• Thank you received: 15

• Its great to hear that the relationship with AFCD Mgmt is healthy and that frequent meetings are taking place.

All of the MTB trails in the country park are shared trails except for IMBA's trails up the top near route twisk.

If they wanted to make it safer for hikers during Trailwalker or anything similar, why build a hump/jump bang in the middle of the trail reinforced with concrete. Surely safer to trip on a root than a catch a block of concrete. The patching up of the roots is also breaking up already.

Im happy to start taking photo's and ploting positions for AFCD. Is it something they are willing to recieve. Has it been discussed. Would rather give them suggestions instead of waiting and seeing what happens.

Can I suggest a new topic be started where all HKMBA members can suggest or give input on what desperately needs attention and a wish list of sorts?

Last Edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Pk101.

Warning: getimagesize(/home/hkmba/www/www/media/kunena/ranks/hkmba logo_211.png): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/hkmba/www/www/libraries/kunena/user/user.php on line 902
    5 years 1 month ago #3141

Warning: getimagesize(/home/hkmba/www/www/media/kunena/ranks/hkmba logo_211.png): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/hkmba/www/www/libraries/kunena/user/user.php on line 902

• HKMBA
  • HKMBA

• Thank you received: 7

• Okay, broken this off for folks to suggest and discuss trail locations that they would like improved...
    Obviously AFCD can view this if they want (and probably do from time to time) but we can present the list in a prioritized fashion when we meet them.

5 years 1 month ago #3142

• Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

• Thank you received: 9

• Was in a rush to get home so didn't take photos of the really half hearted attempt at covering the roots. Whomever was tasked with doing it put down stones barely fistsized, instead of just covering it with dirt. They'll just get eroded around after the lightest of rains and/or half a dozen MTBs roll over them. :(

Other good news is that the AFCD are doing full-on reroutes... the following bit is the downy-uppy bit (riding either direction) near the plung-pool:

5 years 1 month ago #3143

• Thank you received: 4

• RE: PK101,

Yes, this was specifically discussed, and yes, they have specifically asked us to help identify sections that could be improved, so yes, I believe they would be receptive. We are most certainly entering a new chapter with AFCD, so any work you guys do on this will go a long way.

That said, we do need coordinates - as a rider, I know what you mean by 'the uppy-downy bit by the waterfall' but these guys are civil servants. They require details and procedure.

For any immediate trail dangers, please do go ahead and ring them via the gov't hotline - just dial '1823', ask for AFCD, and explain the problem. It will get fixed, especially if you begin your complaint with 'I was out hiking with my family yesterday, and ..."

www.1823.gov.hk/eng/

I used the above service when a large log was strewn across the Ho Pui extension - not even the legal trail. Called in the afternoon, described the location, and it was gone the next morning.

5 years 1 month ago #3147

• This will be the first batch of suggestions from me and the most obvious when riding on the Tai Lam trail.

This shows a large rock slab that has a step on both ends. Narrow trail, steep drop off to the side and a small landslide at one end.

I dont have GPS location but the co-ordinates from Countryside Series NorthWest NT map is
    948 793.

Attachments:
    The following user(s) said Thank You: YW-Slayer

5 years 1 month ago #3148

• Rapidly decaying wooden bridge and stairs showing heavy erosion on either side. Needs re-route or smoothing over.

948 794

Attachments:

5 years 1 month ago #3149

• Stairs, deep gulley with exposed roots leading to stair bridge.

Its quite a hazardous area, even the stairs leading to the bridge the other side arent great.

Crosses a stream so it would be difficult to do much except maybe make it safer for hikers/bikers.

946 790

Attachments:
    Last Edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Pk101. Reason: missing data

5 years 1 month ago #3152

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• Thank you received: 16

• I actually quite like the first bit, but I know what you mean! ;)

5 years 1 month ago #3153

• The first suggestion is mainly to help begginers, I see many bikers hiking over that slab.

I personally enjoy it !!

Here goes the next batch....pics inserted this time :sick: map location for reference...

This is a blind corner at either end of the steps with a huge tricky rooted gulley. Hard getting up quite easy coming down. I would say this could be filled to avoid further errosion.

944 788

Attachments:
    Last Edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Pk101. Reason: missing data

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
    You are here: Home Forum 討論區 HKMBA Riders forum Trails 越野路徑 Suggest Tai Lam Trail CP Improvements Here