× Trails 越野路徑

Suggest Tai Lam Trail CP Improvements Here

5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #3181 by StanleyJ

econbus wrote: I was thinking of riding the Tai Lam loop at Easter - what's the best way round - clockwise or anti-clockwise?

Clockwise flows better, plus you can ride down all the steps if you're madskillz/brave/foolish, though I've lately have been riding the trail out-then-back, so as to ride it in both directions... plus the fact the concrete road on the other side of the reservoir is dull as a sack of potatoes. I shall not mention cheeky trails. :whistle:

Edit: I realise all the races run in the anti-clockwise direction... think they do this just to slow people down. Though with the fastest race guys doing a full loop in sub-40 minutes... I get a heart attack just thinking about it. :silly:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #3187 by brandon
I agree, clockwise has a better flow, but the extension [other side of the dam] is the opposite case, as I remember. At some point we'll have to designate a direction, at least for Sundays, as word has it two bikers collided not long ago and one guy got a brake lever stuck in his thigh. Stuck, as in it wouldn't come out.

We may have to it to a vote / poll of some kind - but I think most people have traditionally done it counter-clockwise, like you say, because of the races.

5 years 5 months ago #3189 by tomtomtom
Here's the exec report prepared by Tony Boone and Jill Van Winkle of IMBA Trail Solutions. www.afcd.gov.hk/english/country/cou_vis/..._mou/files/TLMBT.pdf Table 1 in the report shows that the intent is to dumb down TLC to make it a real beginner friendly loop while keeping some of the challenges for more advanced riders.

HK is a very tough place to learn the ropes of MTB. Can you imagine starting your first ride on an MTB straight down Ho Pui from Route Twisk? Even my first foray down Ho Pui in 1999 resulted in trail rash, cuts, broken helmet and wrecked wheels and I was an experienced XC rider from Canada. In other parts of the world world there are rutted fire roads to get used to the rough stuff before venturing down the technical stuff.

From a sports development perspective we do need a few easy trails ... and the more people who have a good start in MTB and stick with it rather than posting an ad on 28bike.com the more funding and attention we will get. Numbers matter for MTB in HK.

BTW, if you guys have a chance to pick up Mountain Biking UK (April 2013) then look for a great story on MTB in HK and Lamma Island specifically. Many thanks to Kenneth Lam, the HKMBA Vice Chairman, for being a great host as he guided a couple of super enduro pro riders (and camera crew) from Italy around HK and Lamma. They loved the trails and were nearly upstaged by a local Lamma rider riding a rusty, old Cannondale Scalpel

5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #3191 by econbus
I rode the Lamma trails at Chinese New Year - they just get better and better - the guys who maintain them are doing a terrific job.The downhill at Project X stretches to a couple of minutes - here's a link to my rather sedate effort -
The following user(s) said Thank You: ang

5 years 4 months ago #3212 by HMDirtraction
thanks for highlighting the problem spots at TLC, those photos and coordinate are great, especially when we have a few hours available between the rest of the stuff at Twisk for TLC at the moment.

I hope the 'ups and downer staircase' reroute at 933 785 is a great addition for bi-directional riding, have not see for myself yet.

always remember ridability first, challenges 2nd at TLC.
We can add proper challenges on top of those reroute and trail fixes, so keep the photos flowing.

will try to address and survey these later in a few hrs time, and hope it get implements in the weeks that follows.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pk101

5 years 4 months ago #3213 by Pk101
Thanks HM !!

If anybody is not familiar, HM Lim has been consulting with AFCD on all the recent new trails that have been built. He represents IMBA in HK but is based in Singapore through DirTraction.

If he has any hand in Tai Lam or any future trails, the future looks bright. B)

HM, Tai Lam should be the easiest of trails in the park. If AFCD and you can keep the overall feel and make it more accessible to begginers and still make it challenging, then jobs done!

5 years 4 months ago #3224 by ang
How are the new trails surface holding up after a week of heavy rainfall?

5 years 4 months ago #3225 by Pk101
AFCD fixed the improvements they initially started. They have done a good job.

A re-route is now open just after the waterfall...that will probably be quite muddy as lots of soil and loose gravel was present last week.

The small jump is now the whole width of the trail and root armouring has been beefed up, they should be fine.

Im going to ride there this weekend to check on progress. AFCD has already marked out new areas for improvement and should be ongoing....if the rain stops that is :ohmy:

5 years 4 months ago #3226 by YW-Slayer
Rain + Mud = Extra FUN for those with SKILLZ so that we can get some RAD AIR AND WHIPS AND ROOSTER-TAILS BRO!!!!11!1!1!! Or something (?).

5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #3228 by Pk101
Here are my suggestions for more improvements to Tai Lam resevoir loop.

Please dont flame me for changing the feel or excitement of this trail but remember this should be a green/begginer trail for multi-directional riding AND hikers B) Re-routes or multiple lines provide options for defferent level of riders.

This new batch will deal with the Sui Lam dam entrance towards the road to So Kwun Wat.
Ive taken pictures from above and below each feature for reference so you get the idea of what the issue relates to.

This is mainly to protect exposed roots and create a ride both ways, going down roots is easy but riding up a narrow side line might not be available if the trail is busy with hikers/bikers.

Attachments:

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
Time to create page: 0.656 seconds
© Hong Kong Mountain Bike Association. All Rights Reserved.