× Trails 越野路徑

Topic-icon Suggest Tai Lam Trail CP Improvements Here

4 years 10 months ago #3246

• Thank you received: 15

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • Riding up this little step is difficult for begginers and is what remains of the old drain/concrete.
    Fix the drainage and smooth the step out a little whilst still keeping a nice drop off to start your decent from the opposite direction.

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

4 years 10 months ago #3247

• This rock step and slope is steep when riding up and is the start of what becomes a huge river when heavy rain starts. Needs a drainge point before the steps otherwise it will become rutted and loose later on.

926776 (about 20m further on from the last one)

This section is fine to ride both directions. The huge gulley needs to be addressed as it's narrowed the trail by 50%. Heavy traffic would cause accidents for both bikers or hikers.

4 years 10 months ago #3248

• Both these sections are where the steps and drain has failed....just like all the others :huh:

Make it multi-directional and drains across the trail rather than parallel.

4 years 10 months ago #3249

• My least favourite feature of this section, it annoys me everytime I dont know why...
    I think it has to do with the huge pothole on the side of the drain which you are drawn to because you cant see any conrete.

Please save me from my misery and fix this drain. Should be able to ride over the central section easily (which I would advise is the best route to take either direction but at the moment only easy coming down the trail).

927776 (little further on from the last one)

These stairs are not fun to ride down and the only other option is the narrow slot on the hill side. Too narrow for begginers in either direction.

The following user(s) said Thank You: YW-Slayer

4 years 10 months ago #3250

• Similar to last pics with narrow slot next to stairs. Except these are more dangerous as the concrete is jutting out. Some drainage wouldn't go a miss to keep those stairs from coming away in future.

Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Pk101.

4 years 10 months ago #3251

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• Thank you received: 16

• Re: 3249, this is where I usually start riding if I approach TLC from the Gold Coast, and yeah, it IS terribly irritating riding up a hill that is quite steep and narrow. I also agree entirely with the comments re: the section in the first 2 pictures, it's quite difficult to ride up and over that weird angled drain cover.

4 years 10 months ago #3252

• Thank you received: 4

• Those sharp concrete corners have got to go, first and foremost - major fall hazard. Not to mention pinch flats. I wonder though, is it even worth saving? Like YW says, riding up from GC it is almost impossible to climb, and lots of folks start from this side to do an out-and-back ride.

Perhaps a re-route of the whole eroded section at a more sustainable grade?

4 years 10 months ago #3253

• At last, we are onto a new section of the TLC trail. This is at the end of the small dam by the pedestrian exit to So Kwun Wat.

This a major choke point just by the nature of the dimensions, add in the narrow spiral stairs and roots...it needs to be widened at the very least.

Around the corner is this storm drain/catchment and stair combo. Level out the stairs to smooth gradient.

4 years 10 months ago #3254

• This is a really fun section and would not want it to be dumbed down but to be kept as some kind of feature for the TLC trail !!! It does need major drainage work, a few root armoring or even removal.

The stairs will evetually collapse, you can see the drain gave up years ago.

A multi-level trail with a jump/drop off and chicken run at higher level countouring this corner would be perfect.

4 years 9 months ago #3269

• Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• Thank you received: 1

• Hey Guys

Was just reading through this topic and think its awesome that so much work and proposed work is being done. Keep up the great work with AFCD, really encouraging to see improvements in trails in HK!!

Myself and our riding group spend a fair amount of time riding in the Tai Lam area and are all fairly competent riders. Can I please make 1 request?? while I agree that there a few areas that are not rideable unless you are on a trials bike please don't make too many of the photographed sections too easy to ride. Most of those sections photographed are rideable for a intermediate rider if shown the correct line and technique and with a little work to remove sharp edges and roots, will be safer and cause less damage to bikes. But if we take away too much this trail will just become a flat track. Chicken runs are a great idea only if they take more time than a technical section as this then rewards the more talented/braver(stupider!!) rider for having a go at the tech section. This is already an unbalanced race loop because of the long road section to begin with so the fitter road guys tend to enter the trail before the better mtb riders. If we make it too easy then those road guys will just fly through the course without your better mtb guys getting any advantage for their practised skills.

Would it not be an idea to propose to AFCD building a trail below or above the road section to make it complete dirt trail? I know this would be a a big project but I feel we would be rewarded in the long run and encourage riders to ride in 1 direction which would avoid head on collisions.

Please dont take any of this as criticism, just some ideas from riders who love this trail and dont want to see it made too easy!!

Happy to help with ideas and trail work in the future!

The following user(s) said Thank You: JaspHK

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
    You are here: Home Forum 討論區 HKMBA Riders forum Trails 越野路徑 Suggest Tai Lam Trail CP Improvements Here