× Trails 越野路徑

Suggest Tai Lam Trail CP Improvements Here

5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #3270 by Pk101
Hi Crash,

Thanks for your post. Your thoughts are shared by many of the members and riders in HK and this site. Im might not be able to fully explain the reason for these "improvements" but Im going to have a go.

The main reason is user conflict, this trail is shared by hikers and bikers. To avoid injuries (most recent was two bikers in head on collison on a blind corner and one getting speared by a brake lever in the leg) the trail needs to be made safe for everybody. We do not want to be in a situation where hikers groups or somebodies influential father gets involved and shuts down the trail altogether. AFCD need to maintain the trail and one way or the other they are going to see it through, our job is to make sure mtb riders are taken into consideration.

Next, the trails need to be sustainable. If everytime it rains or every year the AFCD team have to repair something, money is being spent fixing rather than building new trails. Drainage is a big problem so this is the main area of attention.

Lastly, this trail is designated a beginner loop, the least difficult of all trails in Tai Lam. It cant be ridden in both directions and it doesnt provide the best experience when you consider the amount of times you need to get off your bike. Saying that, it would be stupid not to provide something for begginers to look forward to or progress skill wise. Where possible existing features will be kept and even upgraded to provide a better experience.

We are hoping a full loop will be built around the reservoir, it is what everybody wants. Nobody with any sense likes riding on concrete with a mtb. One way to get new trails is to get more bicycle traffic into the park, if we can do this with more attractive trail for beginners, its a sacrifice worth making.

The more input and support we can give AFCD and keep the hikers off our back the better it will be.
I have been to a few volunteer days and they are good fun. Everybody is welcome, it would be great to see more people. Thanks again for your post, if you want to add more feel free.

CHEERS!!!! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 3 months ago #3271 by brandon
Hey Crash, welcome to the HKMBA. We're planning to propose exactly that to AFCD - and generally the 'chicken runs' will take longer to make the challenging bits the faster line anyhow.

Yes, the road sucks - you can't legitimately call a loop of Tai Lam Reservoir including the road a 'mountain bike race', and so our next proposal will involve some kind of completion of the loop on trail, either on the south side of the reservoir, or up the contour to the north of the existing trail.

Rest assured, some burlier new trails are in the making, particularly nearer the top of the mountain. Do feel free to post anything here you thing needs improvement, of course. Also, check out our survey below, and we'll see you on the trail!

www.hkmba.org/index.php/rider-survey

5 years 3 months ago #3278 by blackcolour
Hi all,

I've been reading posts on the forum for a long time now, but this is actually my first post. Just want to say I feel that the future is bright for mtb in HK, and that I'm so grateful that enthusiastic, knowledgeable people like yourselves are contributing so much for the sport (and for all mtb riders in HK).

My best mate, whom I ride with all the time, and myself are willing to contribute to the efforts. We'll be delighted to join the next trail building day and other activities.

Regarding TLC, esp. the reservoir loop, my mate and I feel that the concrete, non-dirt part of the trail is not our thing, so when we ride there we just tend to ride on the dirt track back and forth, obviously skipping the 'waterfall carry'. Therefore our major concern would be to make the 'waterfall carry' a safer and more accessible part of the route. For instance, at the lower route bypass of the 'carry', those ungainly and rusty signs are not doing anyone any favour and they should go or be put somewhere prominent but not obtrusive. Also, further in, a wooden bridge could be built across the ruddy massive rocky cliff so that bikers can simply push their bikes, instead of the more dangerous alternative.

Thanks guys for your hard work again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: YW-Slayer

5 years 3 months ago #3280 by Pk101
Hi Blackcolour, thanks for your post and suggestion !!!

That waterfall section and cliff walk I hope will be re-routed. Its highly dangerous and a fall hazard, the reason for the metal signage/barricade is to warn people from using it and I guess lessening the country parks liability if an accident does occur. It is a steep drop onto rocks and deep water.

I think the non waterfall side of the trail originally had a sign but was removed..by whom I dont know but dont think it was country park management.

It would be nice if they widened it and did a proper job to make it safer but am not sure how easy it will be. Maybe they can make a safer route over the top but less steep than the stairs. Your idea of a wooden bridge might work in some sections as its easier than blasting the rocks or destabalising that hillside anymore.

Cheers!!! :cheer:
The following user(s) said Thank You: blackcolour

5 years 3 months ago #3283 by blackcolour
Thanks pk101. Entirely agree with what you're saying here. Understandably it is equally challenging and demanding (in terms of resources) with either of the upper or lower re-route/alternations. As long as it cures the existing problem, we would like the AFCD to be informed of it.

I heard that from the other post entries that there is potential for a dirt track round the reservoir to replace the existing (and frankly, a bit ridiculous) concrete bits of the trail. This is yet another exciting piece of news and will make the reservoir tour truly amazing. I do hope this is going to be a fruitful exercise.

By the way, when do you guys usually ride? My mate and I are looking to find somebody of similar riding levels (somewhere between Intermediate and Advanced) to have fun with in the Tai Lam CP.

5 years 3 months ago #3284 by Pk101
That road is ridiculous for mtb's, I think the afcd and hkmba have plans but its all in the early stages.

I usually try and avoid sundays in tai lam park but free to ride anytime given enough notice. Im not advanced level but certainly not a newb :woohoo:

If you want to hook up let me know where and when and we can make a plan.

5 years 3 months ago #3286 by blackcolour
We usually ride the reservoir on a Sunday and TMS trails on a Saturday. For Saturdays, we usually start at around 2-3pm (as my mate work in the morning) but he may well be able to take the morning off if that's necessary. Actually we are thinking about riding TMS coming Saturday, but weather forecast suggests that it won't be very nice...

5 years 3 months ago #3287 by Pk101
Check your email, just sent msg ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: brandon

5 years 3 months ago #3291 by MARCO CHIAPPA
Hey guys, anyone out this Sat to Tai Lam? Willing to join somebody knows the track, pls lemme know
Cheers
Marco

5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #3292 by JaspHK
Couldn't agree more.... (with Crash)

I regularly ride the TLC loop and over time have learnt to master most of the challenges throughout the trail (going anti clockwise) to dumb it down will only lead to one thing for me... force me onto illegal trails to find a similar challenge...

So while I can appreciate the argument for making it easy for beginners, if the beginners don't want to have any challenge or have anything to chellange them and progress to then please don't make all these areas flat, please try to find a chicken run/alternative route(s) instead...

I don't want to end up being prosecuted by AFCD...

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
Time to create page: 0.577 seconds
© Hong Kong Mountain Bike Association. All Rights Reserved.