× Trails 越野路徑

Topic-icon Dragon's Back Improvement

5 years 4 months ago #3145

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• Thank you received: 8

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • I was surprised this morning. It appears that AFCD has been at work on HK Island too.

The 2nd stone crossing (from the entrance) and the rock section just after it have been widened and cleared of loose rocks. The crossing is armoured with rocks and I dont see any ugly concrete :)

Attachments:
    The following user(s) said Thank You: YW-Slayer

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 4 months ago #3146

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• I'd need a long travel full sus to get pass this stone crossing. Now it is wide and flat and easier for hikers and beginners.

Attachments:
    The following user(s) said Thank You: YW-Slayer

5 years 4 months ago #3150

• Thank you received: 15

• Awesome news and NO CONCRETE

How is the trail overall? Ive never ridden it. I imagine its not a begginer trail

5 years 4 months ago #3151

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• Thank you received: 16

• Yeah, I rode it late on Sat morning (probably 1-2 hours later than, you ang?). I agree that it's been improved, as those bits are actually quite demoralising if one starts there. I even did it on my 29er HT! Guess one morning I'll have to do a back-to-back comparison with both bikes.

The contour guy has got a few tough bits that HAVE to be hiked, unless maybe you're a crazy FR guy who practices a lot, but overall it's not too bad. I don't know much about trail grading, but I'd say maybe 10-15% max is green/beginner, with maybe 75% blue, 5-10% red/black.

Never really managed to do a full ride on the ridgeline without running into hikers (or stopping due to lack of skill), but I think that's more like 70% red/black. Fun if one can do it, though.

Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by YW-Slayer.

5 years 4 months ago #3159

• Ive always wanted to try it but worried it will all be over too soon.

If you were to do a loop, which side is better to park a car and start from, cape collinson side or shek O road side?

Ive also seen guys with FS bikes cycling up from big wave bay, is there a cheeky trail from end of cape collinson down to the beach?

5 years 4 months ago #3160

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• There is a "NO BIKES ALLOWED" trail which starts off near the start of the DB, but for obvious reasons I've never been on it. I think it goes through some villages.

IMO, the best riding along the Contour Trail is actually from the Shek O portion until the intersection with the Ridge Trail which is closer to Cape Collinson. I've only ever ridden the Ridge in the CC to Shek O direction, so can't comment on the reverse, although from looking at it I think riding in reverse really woudl not be any fun at all!

It's not actually that short. A full loop along the Contour trail from Cape Collinson to the end and back should take around 40-50 minutes, although that does include the less-fun parts near the Cape Collinson part (and before you get to the intersection with the Ridge). In fact, the Strava record is 36 minutes - see app.strava.com/activities/37193935#597791490 On Saturday I took it in quite a leisurely fashion with a lot of stops to let hikers/walkers past and it took me around 1 hour.

While traffic on the trail is quite high, almost all of the hikers/walkers are friendly to bikers and vice-versa, although of course there are always bad apples of all types.

5 years 4 months ago #3161

• Will probably ride it soon if works are underway...dont want to miss out on the original features as I dont get out that way too often.

Thanks for the help.

5 years 4 months ago #3162

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• On the plus side, these mods mean that it's getting better.

Anyway, I may try and do an early morning session one weekday. That's the best way to get a good run in, unless of course one goes at night.

5 years 4 months ago #3163

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• YW, I rode it on Sunday morning, started at 7:30am at the trail head.

Haha, mixed feeling with the flattening of trail since I can manage to clear the rock crossing recently on a 160mm travel FS bike. I could not clean it with the old Trek Fuel.

About the ridge line, I think doing it clockwise is the best with some steep drops near the end of the loop. I hate to carry the bike up the washed out steps tho, it takes about 15 min to hike the bike up to the ridge line.

Since the prison has put up a gate, now you cannot park near the prison. However, there are public parking along Cape Collison Roard, just next to the cemetery.

Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by ang.

5 years 4 months ago #3167

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• Ah, I see.

I should point out that the parking areas you have mentioned are not exactly legal, since there are no parking bays (in my experience you can be ticketed for parking in HK even if there is no single or double yellow line). So one always runs the risk of being ticketed...

One could say that it will be "safer" in that sense if one does not go during "peak hours" for the Cape Collinson crematorium etc. Examples of unsafe periods are a sunny nice Saturday weekend late morning/early afternoon or (more obviously) near Ching Ming when people are going to "bai sun" at the columbarium/cemeteries nearby. Examples of safe periods are pre-7am on a wet, windy day (which also has the benefit of ensuring that hardly any hikers/runners/other bikers will be on the trail :laugh: - well, apart from people like ang and I).

Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by YW-Slayer.

Moderators: bikestevebrandon