Cpanel
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Talking dirty 隨意發言

TOPIC: Airport Express also banning bikes

Airport Express also banning bikes 4 years 1 month ago #1427

• hardtail
  • Fresh Boarder
Heard from one of the tri-groups that the airport express is banning bikes. This is the last form of public transport that would allow you to get from central to the airport or near tung chung.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Airport Express also banning bikes 4 years 1 month ago #1431

• bikesteve
  • Thank you received: 8
That's bad news, I was beginning to think the MTR was softening their stance on bikes on trains lately.

I've been seeing an increasing amount of riders just removing their front wheel and hoping on the regular MTR so decided on doing the same tonight as I live in Tung Chung and wanted to meet up with friends for a night ride.

Well got out ok, had a fantastic ride and thought my return journey at a quiet time of night 10pm would be hitch free, but not so.

Just about to enter the escalator to the platform when I was apprehended by the jobsworth at the information counter. Now I know this guy's just doing his job and I would usually plead ignorance & offer not to do the same again but shouting at me 'No Bicycle' then accusing me of being a 'regular offender' that's been seen on camera before really got me riled up. The last time I took the MTR with a bike was January!

I told him in no uncertain terms I would be taking the MTR home whether he liked it or not at which point he told me to 'Smile your on the Camera' -Can't say I was to proud of what I did for the CCTV's sake but heh...

Makes a real mockery of all these 'do your bit for the environment posters of families on bikes' i've seen at the MTR in recent weeks doesn't it...!

Re:Airport Express also banning bikes 4 years 1 month ago #1436

• daiski
  • Fresh Boarder
They only time I would take the MTR is very early in the morning when passengers are at their minimal. I usually take off my wheel before heading down and quickly slip by the customer service counter.
I have a buddy taking off from Tung Chung after riding in Lantau and the MTR staff made a big scene out of it.
Though you can save a few bucks by riding the MTR, it's probably better to call a van. I mean van service is hk is fairly cheap.

Re:Airport Express also banning bikes 2 years 2 months ago #2581

I agree van services in HK is cheap and van drivers usually provide 24-hr on-call services if advance booking is made. Some of them also speak English and will take you to hot country bike routes. I know one of them, a Mr. Jung at 98329737. Call him if you need such services.

Re:Airport Express also banning bikes 2 years 2 months ago #2583

• YW-Slayer
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Oops, didn't notice that the last post was written in relation to a thread which was started over a year ago, after which the MTR seems to have clarified their policy (see hkcyclingalliance.org/laws-and-regs/mtr-bye-laws).

hkcyclingalliance.org/getting-around-hk/trains

I agree that using a car/van can at present be preferable to save the hassle (I assume quite a few on this forum do when going MTBing). I agree that spending HK$200-500 or whatever for a van/taxi is next to nothing compared to some of the amounts people spend on their bikes. But sometimes it's a matter of principle, or rather, principles:

- Why should I have to pollute any more than necessary and/or risk being stuck in a jam if my journey starts and ends not too far from an MTR station (or a form of public transport)?

- Why should we be prevented from bringing our bikes on public transport as long as we're not idiots/inconsiderate about it?
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by YW-Slayer.
Moderators: bikesteve, brandon
Time to create page: 1.908 seconds
You are here: Home Forum 討論區 HKMBA Riders forum Talking Dirty 隨意發言 Airport Express also banning bikes