× Talking dirty 隨意發言

Topic-icon Lion Rock Park and Kam Shan Park v. Tai Lam Park

6 years 5 months ago #1911

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • because I live in Kowloon Tong, it would be convenient to bike nearby in Lion Rock Park and Kam Shan Park, I know the trails from jogging there and there are places where you can take a bike, if you're willing to carry it at times, but I haven't taken a bike there yet, only been there running, has anyone experimented there? are there serious problems, like feasibility, legality, etc.? any specific trails or routes you'd recommend?

I hardly ever see anyone on these trails, is there a risk of being fined for disturbing the monkeys and the dogs with my bike?

I understand that Tai Lam country park is the recommended place for mountainbiking in HK, but it seems quite far out for me, not the distance per se but the distance PLUS the exhaust fumes along the way, how do you guys get there? I don't have a car, do you take your bike on the bus? in a cab? any way to go from Kowloon Tong to Tai Lam country park by trails and carbondioxide-free roads?

thanks!

Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by annoporci.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 years 5 months ago #1912

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• Thank you received: 16

• I think the recommended way to go to Tai Lam is to hire a van. I have a car and so I don't need to, but I may look into it for days when I can't be bothered to drive. Check out the link MTB in HK->Transportation Guide.

6 years 5 months ago #1914

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received:

• thanks ang, that's a very helpful map, have saved it and will print it,

related question: any problems taking a bike on the MTR? anything I should think about?

thanks!

6 years 5 months ago #1915

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received:

• hi yw-slayer, isn't renting a van on the expensive side? I used to do that in Macau when I was living there (taking bikes to ride in Zhuhai, Hengqin, etc., we had to go over the Taipa-Macau bridge --- which I have done on bike too but have been stopped by police on several occasions), but Macau is (Edit. correction: was) cheap and there were 3 of us and it was only like once a month, but in Hong Kong I'd like to ride alone and weekly, so I think the van option would be a bit expensive.

6 years 5 months ago #1916

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Hi ang, how about getting off at Tsuen Wan West MTR station instead? is that okay too? it would reduce time spent on the MTR by 2 stops, thanks.

Edit. Or how about Tsuen Wan MTR (different MTR line) and the "Route Twisk" up to the trails? I think this Route Twisk (cool name!) meets the mtb trail up there somewhere. Is that a pleasant road to ride on? thanks!

6 years 5 months ago #1917

• Thank you received: 8

• I was using Tsuen Wan West when my truck was off the road, there's several ways in to the park:

On google maps look for a small catchwater rd called Po Fung Terrace, this takes you a third of the way up Route Twisk with virtually no cars.

The most direct route in is again using the same Po Fung Terrrace rd but look on your left for where the 'Yuen Tuen' trail starts. -Its a concrete footpath that's incredibly steep but will take you directly into the park. (Disclaimer: It's not MTB legal) Nice views this time of year.

Another route from TWW station is take Castle Peak rd to Ting Lung Tau, Lung Yue Rd, takes about 30mins from station to park entrance, less climbing than the previous two options.

6 years 5 months ago #1924

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• Thank you received: 16

• Yeah, the vans aren't the cheapest option, but I hardly get to go MTBing due to work and so I'd rather pay for the speed/convenience myself.

The MTR requires that you remove your front wheel inside stations and on the train. Why this is so is entirely beyond me, but that was conveyed to us via the Transport Dept at the last biannual meeting between them and a bunch of cycle groups.

I think the others are probably more suited to telling you what MTR stations to stop at. Have fun!

6 years 5 months ago #1926

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received:

• YW-Slayer wrote:

The MTR requires that you remove your front wheel inside stations and on the train. Why this is so is entirely beyond me, but that was conveyed to us via the Transport Dept at the last biannual meeting between them and a bunch of cycle groups.

wow, thanks, that's just the sort of information I need, I was getting contradictory statements from colleagues I asked at work, some saying it was okay, some that it wasn't, well I've got it down to the technical details here!

perhaps removing the front wheel is to make sure you cannot ever be tempted to ride within the MTR area ... it might be tempting in some of those very long connections like TST-EastTST and the like ... or perhaps if you're about to miss the train you might hop on and catch up? :laugh:

6 years 5 months ago #1928

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received:

• bikesteve wrote:

On google maps look for a small catchwater rd called Po Fung Terrace, this takes you a third of the way up Route Twisk with virtually no cars.

got that, great.

The most direct route in is again using the same Po Fung Terrrace rd but look on your left for where the 'Yuen Tuen' trail starts. -Its a concrete footpath that's incredibly steep but will take you directly into the park.

I can probably find the start of the trail once on Po Fung Terrace: on google maps it looks like there are several paths going up, again should be easy to find, so that's very useful.

Another route from TWW station is take Castle Peak rd to Ting Lung Tau, Lung Yue Rd, takes about 30mins from station to park entrance, less climbing than the previous two options.

okay, got Tsing Lung Tau as well (it's Tsing with an s), I will try this path as well. How incredibly twisting castle peak road is, makes me want to visit the castle.

a big thank you bikesteve

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
    You are here: Home Forum 討論區 HKMBA Riders forum Talking Dirty 隨意發言 Lion Rock Park and Kam Shan Park v. Tai Lam Park