× Talking dirty 隨意發言

For ang... my 29er AM HT build. ;)

6 years 7 months ago #2425 by StanleyJ

ang wrote: StanleyJ,

Any pics and specs about the 29er HT AM? Thanks.

Because from a previous life, I loath nothing more than people whom derails topics ( here )... here are some pics of my rather contradictory "29er/wagon-wheels all-mountain hardtail" build. :woohoo:

Not very stealth...

A closeup of the Hope M4 caliper and the welds...

I got the frame direct from the manufacturer, Canfield Brothers, whom I guess some of you guys may have come across for their DH 26er bikes.

They have two HT 29ers, one in Alu (Yelli-Screamy) and one in steel (Nimble 9). I got the Alu one:

www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames/yelli-screamy

These are one of the "new geometry" 29ers, with short chainstays which makes them more flickable/wheelie-able than the first 29ers. The horizontal chainstay length on the Yelli is 424mm (16.7in). That's a good half-inch shorter than the XC orientated Scott/Giant HT 29ers which are 438~440mm (17.2~17.3in)... and not much different from regular 26er hardtails, which are in the 416~424mm (16.4~16.7in) range.

For the build kit, as I wanted the special edition "with a slash of sponsorship green" Hope brakes ( www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemID=SPG332 )... I ended up order that and bits for the rest of the bike from www.18bikes.co.uk .

So the build list...

Frame: Canfield Bros Yelli-Screamy (Medium)
Fork: Fox F34 29er 140/110mm Talas (Canfield said their 29er frames are stong enough for 140mm forks, even though the website still says max 120mm)
Wheels: Hope Pro2 29er with Stans Crest (though a big guy should go with Stans Flows)
Brakes: Hope Race M4 Evo with 183mm discs front+back. Very controlled 1-finger braking. Could even drop down to a 160mm rotor on the back...
Groupset: Straight SRAM X9 2x10 (chainset: 39t-26t; cassette: 36t-12t... a little overgeared for my whimpy legs... as SRAM now do 36t-22t and 38t-24t chainring options... or go triple! :sick: :woohoo: )
Seatpost: Rockshox Reverb 30.9 x 420mm
Stem: Ragley ( www.ragleybikes.com ... it's a CRC "in-house" brand) Stubbing 55mm
Bars: Ragley Wiser Carbon 720mm with 5mm rise
Pedal: DMR Vault flatties
Tyres: 29x2.4in Maxxis Ardents
Other bits: Ragley and Hope stuff...

So with the fork at 140mm, the static head angle is 67 degrees... which is slack! Am still getting used to a suspension fork having only ridden rigid MTBs when I was young and around HK on an also rigid not-really-MTB fat tyred bike.

Aside from the short chainstays, the wide bars and short-short stem helps sharpen up the handling and certainly not "typical" 29er, also helped by the fact the Fox F34 forks have 51mm offset, as opposed to 45mm(?) with the F32 29ers. If I should happen to bump into you in and around Tai Lam... you're welcome to swing a leg over (the bike). :lol:

Oh... one more thing. 2.4in wide tyres with a front mech. The (un-used) lower arm actually needs to be removed (I used my Dremel...), as otherwise the widest tyre is about 2.25in. Obviously not an issue for those without a front mech, running 1xwhatever/Singlespeed/Dinglespeed/Rohloff... ;)

Here are some threads on MTBR:

Yelli-Screamy: forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/yelli-screamy-canfield-644944.html
Nimble 9: forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/canfield-nimb...d-thread-725555.html
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ang

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 7 months ago #2426 by YW-Slayer
Wow, you've put more thought into most of your individual components than I put into my bike! :laugh: Sweet ride, though 67-deg is super-slack.

I love the Reverb - dropper posts are incredible.

6 years 7 months ago #2428 by ang

These are one of the "new geometry" 29ers, with short chainstays which makes them more flickable/wheelie-able than the first 29ers. The horizontal chainstay length on the Yelli is 424mm (16.7in). That's a good half-inch shorter than the XC orientated Scott/Giant HT 29ers which are 438~440mm (17.2~17.3in)... and not much different from regular 26er hardtails, which are in the 416~424mm (16.4~16.7in) range.

Thanks for the detailed specs and descriptions.

Interesting, so the centre-of-gravity will probably be moved a bit closer to the rear, thus making the front-end somewhat "lighter" in handling, and easier for front-wheel lifting. I like the low top-tube, seems to have more room between the metal and the crotch.

Not sure when these "new geometry" 29er will trickle into major brands. I was checking the Trek's current mass-production 29er HT frames and the chainstay length is 445mm(17.5") across all size and models, perhaps they're all XC/racing orientated.

Those Marzocchi 29er forks are on sale on CRC and the price looks good. Thinking of building a 29er HT with a 29er frame and some old parts from the part bins.

BTW, does the bigger 29" wheel make a big enough difference when going thru obstacles?

6 years 7 months ago #2430 by StanleyJ
@Slayer: I was just getting bits that were easy to get in the UK and not so easy to get in Hong Kong... so it all fell into place fairly easily... plus there's quite a bit of colour mismatch-clashing going on if you saw the bike in person. ;)

@ang: Indeed. Winding the Fox down to 110mm it feels more nimble than the old school 26er rigid MTBs I stole/borrowed of my friends to ride in the late 1990's. Yet the bigger wheels float over stuff more like an FS bike and lighter wheelsets obviously help, which the Hopes are plenty light and don't cost too much of a fortune.

Having the fork at the full 140mm is still kind of freaking me out, as it can go through stuff much faster than what a rigid bike with just 1.5in (haha!) would allow. :evil: Not helped with the fact I've been in the UK for over a month + lousy weather + a sprained shoulder which put me out of action for another month... the number of times I've ridden the new bike since finished building it up mid-December... I can count on one hand! :( I need an outing this Sunday... :P

As for the Marzocchi fork on CRC. Whilst I ready do like their forks, it's probably a good job it is out of stock, as you may not know that fork has 44mm offset, same as 26er forks... which was part of the issue why 1st gen 29ers were "slow and truck-like", or if the frame designer steepened the head angle to compensate, on smaller sizes, there was toe-overlap with the front wheel.

The 51mm offset is what Gary Fisher got Fox & Rockshoxs to make on the OEM forks when he released his "G2" geometry 29ers (which also means all current Trek 29ers have). Fox, in their wisdom, have the F34 in just the 51mm offset option... and tapered steerers, considering how far away the axle is from the crown race (similar to a 26er with a 160~170mm fork!). I think Rockshoxs are doing the same too...

I guess ultimately, it depends what frame you have your eye set on, ang? B)

6 years 7 months ago #2432 by ang
Ah, that's why those old Marzocchi are on clearance sale, thanks for the 44mm offset info. Not sure if running a shorter stem ie. 70mm would help to compensate the offset.

I'm looking at an entry-level Trek X-Caliber 15.5" frame. Head angle = 69.3

6 years 7 months ago #2433 by YW-Slayer
Isn't 15.5" a bit too small for you? Surely 17.5" is probably better?

6 years 7 months ago #2434 by StanleyJ
Hmmm. So an XC 29er. If I was getting something more XC, I personally prefer the 2012 Scotts. The cheapest complete bike is the Comp:

www.scott-sports.com/us/en/products/2217...ike-scale-29-comp-l/ ... USD1k, so in HK, probably around $8000?

The top Scott 29er Alu model is the Elite:

www.scott-sports.com/us/en/products/2217...ke-scale-29-elite-m/ ... USD1500, so $12,500?

There's an inbetween price point with the Team. Scott also have both the carbon and alu 29er frame as a stand-alone. No idea if the HK distributor will get it (the frame) for you though... or strip down an instock bike for you for the frame whilst they backorder a frame, hah!

Giant make the XtC 29er, which gets good reviews... the XtC 29er 2 is listed at USD1400:

www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/xtc.29er.2/9031/48896/

However that has a Marzocchi fork with 44mm offset, which makes for a steep 71.5 deg. head angle. Both the Trek & Scotts have 51mm offset forks, and even in XC trim have a pretty slack 69.5 deg. head angle... all three bikes with 100mm forks.

So I guess if you get the Giant frame, you can match it with the CRC discount Marzocchi (and run a 60~80mm stem). Otherwise, maybe a complete bike would work out better? :unsure: That said, I do seem to recall seeing FlyBall having the Fox F34 29er black Talas fork (with 51mm offset) for ~HK$7k, brand new, which isn't much more than the discount Marzocchi. The cheaper white no travel adjust Fox F34, which should at least be a few hundred HK dollars cheaper? :huh:

Descisions, descisions, descisions! ;)

6 years 7 months ago #2435 by YW-Slayer
Let me just throw a wildcard out there - the carbon Merida 29" hardtail in carbon comes with a pretty decent spec for something like 17-22K. Don't remember exact figure but spec-for-spec you're looking at something 4-5K less than the equivalent Trek/GF 29er, such as the HiFi.

6 years 7 months ago #2436 by ang
My previous HT is a 17.5" and even with a short stem, I leaned too much so I'm thinking of going one size smaller for a more upright riding position. Knee room is ok tho with the long top tube...but the XC orientated 29er is designed for racing so the riding position is agressive.

6 years 7 months ago #2437 by StanleyJ

YW-Slayer wrote: Let me just throw a wildcard out there - the carbon Merida 29" hardtail in carbon comes with a pretty decent spec for something like 17-22K. Don't remember exact figure but spec-for-spec you're looking at something 4-5K less than the equivalent Trek/GF 29er, such as the HiFi.

Certainly an option... if only you could get the HK Distributor guy Wun Pang (here in Yuen Long) to get 29er stuff in. :P

A Niner may be an easier route for the XC hardtails... but then everyone has one of those right? ;)

ang wrote: My previous HT is a 17.5" and even with a short stem, I leaned too much so I'm thinking of going one size smaller for a more upright riding position. Knee room is ok tho with the long top tube...but the XC orientated 29er is designed for racing so the riding position is agressive.

So now I'm confused, as a more upright position is less aggressive...

Really putting the cat among the pigeons for an XC hardtail 29er... how about cult UK brand Cotic (I've got their "Roadrat" commuter bikes)?

Their 29er looks nice and sharp:

www.cotic.co.uk/product/solaris

The smallest they do is a medium (17.5") though it's okay with a 60mm to 90mm stem.

Geometry with a 80mm fork is 71 deg. So the rule of thumb of 1 deg. slacker for each inch of travel... that's 70 deg. with 100mm, 69 deg. with 120mm (max).

For those that have ridden it, they says it's a 29er version of their 26er "Soul", which was designed to get the "old school" Kona feel, but make it work for the longer travel forks that started popping up a decade ago.

The Solaris frame is GBP499... so that's HK$6200. You'll be ordering direct from Cotic, so you should get 20% VAT off, which makes it around HK$5200. Shipping via Fedex/UPS/DHL, I'd guess around $600~$800?

:whistle: :evil:

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
Time to create page: 0.592 seconds
© Hong Kong Mountain Bike Association. All Rights Reserved.