× Talking dirty 隨意發言

Topic-icon For ang... my 29er AM HT build. ;)

6 years 4 months ago #2438

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• Thank you received: 8

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • Let me check CRC again...now all cheap Marzocchi are gone but may find one on 2nd hand market. The Manitou 29er Expert 100mm (48mm offset) is now £131.25, that's about HK$1,700?

The stripped down Trek X-Caliber frame is about HK$2k. Except for 29er rim, spokes, tubes & tyres, the rest I can get from the old parts bin; old seatpost, saddle, Juicy 3, crankset, even a 36T cassette, beatup Deore deraileurs, old 25.4 flat bar. Would that make a bargain basement 29er, haha!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 years 4 months ago #2439

• Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

• Thank you received: 9

• ang wrote: Let me check CRC again...now all cheap Marzocchi are gone but may find one on 2nd hand market. The Manitou 29er Expert 100mm (48mm offset) is now £131.25, that's about HK$1,700?

The stripped down Trek X-Caliber frame is about HK$2k. Except for 29er rim, spokes, tubes & tyres, the rest I can get from the old parts bin; old seatpost, saddle, Juicy 3, crankset, even a 36T cassette, beatup Deore deraileurs, old 25.4 flat bar. Would that make a bargain basement 29er, haha!

The Manitou would work nicely... that 3mm difference in offset would be like arguing over 1/4~1/3 deg. head angle change. ;)

Good luck on completing the bargain basement 29er! B)

6 years 4 months ago #2440

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• Oh, I mean I want a more upright position ~ less aggressive, easier on the back.

I guess it'll take time for the "new geometry" to trickle down as it appears the current crop of 29er from major brands are geared toward XC. So that would make your new 29er HT AM light years ahead of what we've in HK right now, with sharp handling of a 26er and big-wheeled advantage of 29er :)

6 years 4 months ago #2441

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• Thank you received: 16

• Well, I know Sky Blue were interested in selling that Merida. I was toying with the idea of it a few weeks ago but to be fair, I didn't ask how long it would take for them to get one in. Maybe the distributor is not that fast (just like how it took 4-6 weeks for me to get my Park Tools work stand...)!

6 years 4 months ago #2442

• Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

• Trek/GF 29ers are also "New Geometry", hence G2, because those forks with more offset had always been OEM and just starting with this years models have they been available at retail. :)

All-mountain & hard-tail are pretty much mutually exclusive, 26er or 29er. I mean, how many 26er "all mountain" hardtails that are designed for 140mm (or more) forks can you think of? This list is pretty much all there is:

Orange Crush: www.orangebikes.co.uk/bikes/crush/ (max 150mm)
    Cotic Soul: www.cotic.co.uk/product/soul (max 140mm)
    Cotic BFe: www.cotic.co.uk/product/BFe (max 160mm)
    Ragley Blue Pig/Blue Pig X: www.ragleybikes.com/our-frames/blue-pig-x/ (max 140mm)
    Ragley Troof (Alu): www.ragleybikes.com/our-frames/troof/ (max 160mm)
    Ragley Bagger 288 (Steel): www.ragleybikes.com/our-frames/bagger-288/ (max 160mm)
    Pace RC325.5: www.pacecycles.com/?page_id=171 (max 150mm)
    On-One 456: www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROO456/on_one_456_..._hardtail_frame_2011 (max 150mm)
    Santacruz Chameleon: www.santacruzmtb.com/chameleon/ (max 160mm)

Note how all of them barr the Santacruz are British... there are a few more from even less well know, again British, brands. ;)

So for 29ers... is seems to be more of a US thing... funny, because the first proto-MTBs in England used 700c wheels, so "are" 29ers, yet US MTBs used 26in "kids" wheels. ;) Anyway, the large wheels + lack of suspension forks meant a lot of them were rigid singlespeeds. As things have gotten better, 29er in HT or FS pretty much rule XC. "All mountain hardtail 29ers" (120~140mm 29er fork) would pretty much be this very short list of:

Canfield Bros.:
    www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames/yelli-screamy
    www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames/nimble-9

Banshee Paradox: www.bansheebikes.com/paradox.html

Gas Stambek Classic: www.gasventinove.com/archives/231

That's pretty much it... less you go custom frame, then you can have anything you want. ;)

6 years 4 months ago #2443

• Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

• Oooh. My bad, there's also the Kona Honzo (short (chainstays) and slack (headangle))... however you can't run a front mech:

www.konaworld.com/29er_hardtail.cfm?content=honzo

Increased the number of bikes by 33%! ;)

6 years 4 months ago #2444

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• YW-Slayer wrote: just like how it took 4-6 weeks for me to get my Park Tools work stand...

Park Tools work stand, how nice :cheer:

6 years 4 months ago #2445

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• Thank you received: 16

• Yeah, well, I haven't even unpacked it! It's sitting here in a box in my office staring at me. Then after I bought it I realised that I could just wash or maintain my bikes while they are mounted on the back of my car rack, but I had already ordered it with SBB and was embarrassed about pulling out... :(

Having said that, is anyone interested in a Park Tools work stand? Never been opened or used. Can even give you the model # and stuff. :D

6 years 4 months ago #2446

• Yes VERY interested, send me the details!
    Cheers Steve

6 years 4 months ago #2447

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• 60 pts, made for big wheels, three rubber seals to keep out the elements
    http://www.kingkonghubs.com/pro_922df.asp

Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by ang.

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
    You are here: Home Forum 討論區 HKMBA Riders forum Talking Dirty 隨意發言 For ang... my 29er AM HT build. ;)