× Talking dirty 隨意發言

Topic-icon Bicycle World Sucks/Flying Ball Rocks

Warning: getimagesize(/home/hkmba/www/www/media/kunena/ranks/hkmba logo_211.png): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/hkmba/www/www/libraries/kunena/user/user.php on line 902
9 years 3 months ago #383

Warning: getimagesize(/home/hkmba/www/www/media/kunena/ranks/hkmba logo_211.png): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/hkmba/www/www/libraries/kunena/user/user.php on line 902

• HKMBA
  • HKMBA

• Thank you received:

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • does anyone have anything really good to say about BW??? i wander if any of the staff or owner would like to comment?

oh btw anyone knows what the thumbs up or thumbs down does - i think ihave just smited some of you????

Please Log in to join the conversation.

9 years 3 months ago #384

• Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• Thank you received:

• For me, I've had very mixed experiences at both shops but having built up some relationships with certain guys within the shops I think they're both pretty good (though coming from Western service background it's always going to be different). Jonathan is one of those guys and I'm surprised he came accross in such a bad way.

I had a similar experience in some ways the other week on the trail when I said to a guy riding with V-brakes that he'd find it easier with 'proper' brakes. He took one look at my Hope disc set up and launched into some diatribe about how "just because I'd spent blah blah". I didn't mean to offend (said it with a smile) but he really took it the wrong way (Americans?!? :). Perhaps this is what happened with Jonathan- he was trying to tell you something you didn't want to know- like don't waste money trying to get this wreck on the road when you could get a modern day machine that'll be much better suited and will increase your enjoyment? Though yes, it does sound a little funny if new brake pads and a handlebar could have sent you home happy.

I'll continue to use both shops- Wan Chai for convenience and general service, Flying Ball for the stuff I can't get in Wan Chai.

My 2 pence.

9 years 3 months ago #391

• Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Well I use to think Bicycle World were crap, but over the last few years I think they have stepped it up a gear, for the better.
    Although usually not the cheapest, they are located in HK Island which is probably their greatest asset.
    I have found Bworld head mechanic (forgot his name) to always be really helpfull and friendly.
    Recently I have noticed BW are competitve and organised with tires... (which is a lot better than Flying Ball having them in a corner on the floor).

As Tom says, FBall can be a trek, and once there can be fed BS and have to wait around to get served... (Getting served and sorted was significantly smoother when Bosco was working there.....). I shop at both bike shops though.

After years of hearing much talk from bikeshop salesmen in HKG I get a bit fed up and do my own research before I buy...

Has Paul opened his other Shun Lee at bottom of Ho Pui yet?

Cheers

Last Edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Rogue. Reason: spelling

9 years 3 months ago #400

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received:

• I think most of the LBS did not show they are the professional when you compare with the bike shop which are local at he US.

Non-professionalism
    Another issue is they did not treat friendly to most customer.

Now most of the LBS did not want to take any responsibility to customer.
    e.g. Disc brake, wheelset, Fork, shox ...and even the local distrubitor did not perform as their response for their work.

Non-responsiability
    When you have find some problem at the frame (may be shox location area)...
    They may be come out to say this is a normal wear out and we will not take any responsibility on that ... blah blah blah) In fact this is a true story from my friend, he has send the picture to the brand name customer service. If he only waiting for the local bike shop to help then... we don't know how long to settle this issue.

I think most of the bike shop need to change their attitude to the customer and they must do what they have to do!

9 years 3 months ago #404

• HKMBA
  • HKMBA

• Thank you received: 7

• Kenneth is dead on.

In Canada, many years ago a group of mountaineers grouped together to form a cooperative called Mountain Equipment Coop ( www.mec.ca ) to buy climbing equipment cheaply. $5 CDN (35HDK) is all it took to join and this movement grew bigger and bigger. On top of having the best quality & least expensive climbing/outdoor equipment they back everything that they sell. If you dont like it or it fails then they give you your money back without any hassles. Its a bit of a grassroots kind of store that has become hugely successful and has spread across the country. To top it off they share the profits!! So every now and then, depending how much you have spent in a given year, you might get a small rebate surprise in the mail. Not bad, eh?

Would be interesting if we could start something like this here and make these complacent bike shop owners sweat a bit.

9 years 3 months ago #406

• User is blocked
  • User is blocked

• Thank you received:

• I agree that the bicycle industry in Hong Kong is considerably behind Europe and the States in terms of knowledge and assistance. Although , I doubt you would see such a great range of products in a shop than what we do. Perhaps we are a little spoilt here!

In terms of 'responsibility' as termed by Kenneth, it would be worth reading the owners manual and warranty outlines of the products that you are complaining about. Remember, it is not the shop that gives you the warranty - it is the manufacturer.

The shop that you purchased the product from - (remember to bring your receipt) will check to see if its a correct claim and then forward it to the distributer who forwards it to the manufacturer for your claim. This is usual, and is unreasonable to get annoyed at the bike shop if it is taking longer than you would like. The margin on bikes is not that good, and it is not financially reasonable for a shop to replace the product or give your money back without verification of a refund from the manufacturer.

However, if the distributer is not being helpful - they seem to perform the minimum unless you are spending money - you can contact the manufacturer after trying the distributer first. However, they will always direct you to the distributer first as they will be very busy - especially if you own a mass market brand like Giant etc.

I worked in a bike shop for some time, and to be honest, most claims were the result of people crashing into curbs, trees etc. Always give the best service, but the validity of a warranty claim needs to be checked.

9 years 3 months ago #413

• Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• Thank you received:

• I have been going to BW for most of my mountain bike needs since i started with mountain bikes, over a year now, and i couldn't really complain less with the service that they give me.
    I can say that the service they have isn't any different with any of the service that you could find in hong kong, be it a computer store, a clothing store or a local restaurant. It is pretty much a local shop, with local attitude, and I am pretty much surprised with how a lot of people a reacting to their service. "cmon lets be realistic, we've seen a lot worse here in hong kong.
    I agree with what someone here has said that probably some some of you guys are just a little bit spoilt.
    For the guy who has started this thread, well one thing i can say as a consumer, is that considering that you already know what the problem is with your bike, and the necessary adjustments that you need, then you should have just asked for the necessary service you want. You need not listen to whatever crap, as you said has been told you.
    It is a business they're running, and these guys are employed. If they can get away with doing less, i guess they'd try to.
    I am a newbie with mountain biking, but i try to do my reseach every now and then, well actually a lot, before i hit out to the shop. And i'm pretty much surprised that i have received very good advice from BW, better advice than what i thought was good enough, particularly from WATSON. Not only to me but also to some of my other friends who also frequent the other bike shops on the kowloon side. And I am not even a westerner, i'm southeast asian. I look like i have less money than most people who come to the shop, but still i get good service, because when i go to the shop, i know what i need, and i don't expect a lot of pampering.
    These guys who man the shops are blokes, and mechanics..... 'cmon guys.
    And for the record, Last year I went to flying ball to make inquiry about purchasing a bike, and considering that they only carry really high end bikes, i didn't get good service as well as i din't have enough money. That' fine with me, nothing in this world comes for free.B)

9 years 3 months ago #414

• HKMBA
  • HKMBA

• Thank you received:

• OK, HK shops have a slight tendency to be slack on the mechanics.
    Their policy: something doesn't work = buy new.
    And it's true that if you want spot-on tuning you've better learn how to do it yourself. No one in HK does bike fitting although FBall has a some knowledge about it and may let you get on the rollers and help you to adjust your posture.

Like anywhere else you will get better services when the shop manager knows you. It takes time to build-up trust.

I got served big sales bullshits at Flyingball, I didn't listen and got over it. Now I don't get the sales arguments anymore and the mechanics built the best set of wheels I ever had in 18 years riding. On busy says they did bad jobs, on good days they did outstanding jobs.

Bworld were super friendly since day one, when I arrived in HK i found the shop and asked with an almost understandable french accent where I could race DH. Since Ah Kwong remained helpful and friendly. They've serviced my bike inside-out without complaining that it was coming from Fball. I usually do the fine tuning myself.
    One note on Jonathan: he is a real rider, I mean someone who rides a lot every week. So he sort of knows what he talks about. But like anyone else, there is good and bad days, there is day when the boss pushes employees to sale and that's a pain.

Friendly bicycle on Lantau is #1 for services. The owner would fix your bike on the spot and within minutes for free so you can go riding on Chi Ma Wan. The down-side of it that they sometimes push speed over quality. But what can you say? It comes from the heart and it's free.

I think HK shops have many good sides and a few flaws. The mechanics and the sales in HK are not "bike doctors" saying "that guy" about a bike – as I've seen in San Francisco – but the parts are 35% cheaper, the services 50% cheaper (if not free) and 90% faster.

9 years 3 months ago #415

• Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• Thank you received:

• work as bike maintenance in Hong Kong is hard because the high rental push the salary to minimum level, it can only attract people with low education level with a bit of passion to work in bike industry, even motorbike, never talk about professionalism, it's hard to survive. Everything is about supply and demand, parts are expensive because of shipping and currency. As the bike technology is getting high in suspension is more complicated technique and lack of resources in training, who will send a worker to US for training? I think the guys there are very wise to learn the maintenance themselves here, and it's true to save time and money on studying the problem if you are out of warranty, most of the time, replace is faster and cheaper for those who did not invest on the training before. The style of service management of Chinese always sucks, their eyesight are very narrow, we have to wait for the new generation, but the education in Hong Kong is still looking for a direction...... I've an experience to share with you guys, I brought a Fox jacket from a motorbike shop few years ago, and the shoulder broken after a ride, I went back to the shop and spoke to the owner, he was doubt with my speed and refuse to replace it. Then I quickly sent a email to Fox's website and the customer service reply me the next day and told me the jacket is for biking instead of motorbike and they have a line of motorbike wear for me to choose, gave me contact of the owner and the new jacket was ready to collect.B)

9 years 3 months ago #417

• Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

• Thank you received: 3

• Some of the shops in HK are really great- Friendly is super helpful, FB has really good and fast mechanics (where else can you walk in on a weekend and have a wheel built in a couple of hours? And the wheel will stay true for a year), and Sunny on Tung Chung is always happy to shoot the breeze out on the trails.

And the prices we pay for what is pretty much a niche sport in HK are really, really good.

I was pretty much warned off Bicyle World by more knowledgeable riders as soon as I started riding, so I've only used them for simple parts. These retail experiences there have pretty much backed this up- sometimes service is fine, sometimes it's slow and surly (even when the store is quiet), which has pretty much dissuaded me from any larger scale purchases there.

Last Edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Jeff.

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
    You are here: Home Forum 討論區 HKMBA Riders forum Talking Dirty 隨意發言 Bicycle World Sucks/Flying Ball Rocks