× Talking dirty 隨意發言

Topic-icon Bicycle World Sucks/Flying Ball Rocks

9 years 3 months ago #420

• Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• Thank you received: 1

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • I have had the same experience as most of you, while BW used to be terrible with service, Jonathan has made a huge difference, and I wont speak to anyone but him now. The downside, and I imagine the lease is responsible, is there prices. I do most my riding on TMS, but live on the island, so BW is the most convenient, but Paul's service and prices are way more competitive.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

9 years 2 months ago #428

• Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Try Bullbike in Mongkok. ( www.bullbike.net ) Tony is the manager. His English is really good and he loves to chat about anything bike related. He'll give you tons of advice within being pressured into buying. He's got tons of stock as well.

Paul at Shun Lee is also good. I think he just moved to Yuen Long.

Flying Ball is also great. Get to know some of the guys or join Philip on the weekend outing.

9 years 2 months ago #429

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received:

• This is a very interesting topic.

Yes the guys at BW can be less than helpful, but so too can some of the other shops.

To me the key way to work with them, as i believe has been mentioned, is to develop a relationship with one or two of the guys, let them know what you ride and like to ride, basically shoot the breeze with them and develop some understanding. This helps 2 ways, as you get to know what they know and they get to know you.

I always talk to Kwong at BW and find him ever helpful and accomodating, even keeping 2.5" Maxxis tyres hidden aside for me at times.

I find in all the shops here theres a bit of, we will sell what we stock if its not here, then an unspoken tough, no one will try and get it, which is why some shops are holding outdated gear that they never marked down.

They all have their benefits and limitations, I am with Rogue in that go in knowing what you want, best you can, phone in advance to see if they have it etc then buy it and if you can fit it yourself.

Just a real chestnut, I have a buddy who was prepared to drop over 30k on a FS bike at a very well known dealer, who I basically did the pluses and minuses of each frame, every time he asked a question the assistant ran off, no one took him seriously, so he ended up buying a complete on a trip to the states and saved himself the bother. its a bit like who can be bothered sometimes!

9 years 2 months ago #431

• Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

• Thank you received: 3

• One odd problem that I've encountered in more than one shop here is that sometimes the salesman (or even the owner) has no idea how to size a bike for a rider. I've had one owner tell me that I needed a Small frame (at 5'9"!) and another tell me that I needed a Large. I've come to the conclusion that if you're going to really rely on a shop for advice, you should build a relationship with 1) someone who has a clue but also 2) someone who does the same kind of riding as you.

8 years 9 months ago #952

• Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Just curious. This thread got off to a pretty nasty start about Jonathan about 6 months ago. With the downswing in full tilt has anyone noticed any improvements in the service at the their bike shop. I was at FW a few weeks back on a Sat and the place was deserted and that is not the way it was a year ago. The service was okay and a bit faster since there were so few other customers but it seems that the squeeze has not really hit them yet!

Prices matter. Discounts are rare or non-existent therefore me and my riding buddies are now grouping together and using the internet to save $$. Our favorite online shop is currently ChainReactionCylces and they have free shipping on orders over HKD$2250. For example, a friend just ordered a set of custom built Hope Pro II wheels with 819 rims and spoke upgrades for about HKD$2700. Even 28bike.com cannot compete with these kinds of prices for "90% new wheels"...

How can local shops compete?? Does it matter???

8 years 8 months ago #955

• Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

• Thank you received: 2

• Just got back from HK Bicycle Company. Very friendly shop and place to go if you want a Scott Bicycle. Another alternative for HK Islanders. shop B, 6-8 Fort Street, North Point. Right next to Car Land if you want to get your car washed at the same time.

Is there any place to hire a MTB for a friend coming to HK?

8 years 8 months ago #957

• Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

• Thank you received: 3

• donkeyman wrote:

Just got back from HK Bicycle Company. Very friendly shop and place to go if you want a Scott Bicycle. Another alternative for HK Islanders. shop B, 6-8 Fort Street, North Point. Right next to Car Land if you want to get your car washed at the same time.

Is there any place to hire a MTB for a friend coming to HK?

What's this store like compared to the other shops around HK? What do they carry?

8 years 8 months ago #958

• Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

• I wouldn't say it's quite there in terms of Flying Ball, in terms of stock carried. Mainly Scott Bicycles and accessories. Shop is only one month old so everyone is very keen and enthusiastic. They do servicing as well. You can park on the street in front, which is one big advantage compared to FB. Staff speak English.

Warning: getimagesize(/home/hkmba/www/www/media/kunena/ranks/hkmba logo_211.png): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/hkmba/www/www/libraries/kunena/user/user.php on line 902
    8 years 8 months ago #959

Warning: getimagesize(/home/hkmba/www/www/media/kunena/ranks/hkmba logo_211.png): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/hkmba/www/www/libraries/kunena/user/user.php on line 902

• HKMBA
  • HKMBA

• Thank you received: 7

• What can you expect in a city of 7.5 Million people?? I think its easier to rent a 30k Louis Vuitton purse than a bike. To rent an MTB you have to go to Friendly Bike Shop on Lantau (freight ferry is every two hours and its takes an hour one way, so book most of a day just to rent the bike) ... hmmm... another business idea for a fledgling shop on HK Island.

I've never heard about this shop. Nice to know about alternatives. Its a shame that the bike shops in town do not know how to promote themselves. HK is lacking in alternatives and we need more decent bike shops that are near the the people. The best shops are major trek away from where anyone lives.

You would think that that the first thing that pops into a new bike shop owner's mind would be "how to I tell the biking community that I exist??" and one might think that dropping a note on these forums or even taking out an ad on any of the bike sites in town might be the top priority, but I guess not. These guys are confident that the bikers will find them no matter how deep in the urban jungle that they hide.

Good luck to this shop and its "keen" crew. BTW, its reassuring that they are next to "Car Land".

8 years 8 months ago #960

• Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

• Well you have an alternative for hiring as well now. I just rented a Scott Scale from them for this Sunday's race. It's freshly serviced and ready to go. To be honest, they had no shortage of customers when I was there. Quite possible their advertising budget went to the local language magazines and websites. Being a non-Chinese reader myself, I know I miss out alot. Very glad for the HKMBA forums!!

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
    You are here: Home Forum 討論區 HKMBA Riders forum Talking Dirty 隨意發言 Bicycle World Sucks/Flying Ball Rocks