× On Yer Bike 尋找戰友

RIDE Sunday Oct 14th

6 years 5 days ago #2913 by boost
Replied by boost on topic RIDE Sunday Oct 14th

ang wrote: YW, I was looking at the map link that enzoferrari posted, I think they did the Tai Lam Reservoir offroad section after they went thru the Ho Pui trail. That is more than 20km offroad with technical sections in between, quite a workout!

Exactly! It was challenging but fun nonetheless! :laugh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 5 days ago #2914 by ang
Replied by ang on topic RIDE Sunday Oct 14th

boost wrote: We arrived at the bus stop at 8:15am (I think even earlier). Finish time was a little before 12noon if I'm not mistaken. We didn't stay too long at Gold Coast and headed back already.

That's quick, finish before noon, I can plan for the next trip :woohoo:

6 years 5 days ago #2915 by YW-Slayer
Replied by YW-Slayer on topic RIDE Sunday Oct 14th
Never done Ho Pui but I'd like to. TLC reservoir off-road section is very good fun, and a good wind-down if you have previously hit some more extreme stuff. There is one section in particular which is perhaps as good uphill as downhill (maybe even better uphill!). Can't overemphasise the importance of having some extra gels/food and AT LEAST 3L of water on a warm day (so a Camelbak or equivalent is pretty much a must-have).

I have also found that such trails are usually devoid of hikers/bikers in the afternoons as everyone clears off by around 2pm or so, probably for family reasons. I highly recommend trying an afternoon ride sometime, as it's a totally different experience. Plus this means you can have an early dinner at the Gold Coast. Chips with lamb meat, cheese, chili sauce, and garlic mayo, mmmm....

6 years 5 days ago #2916 by StanleyJ
Replied by StanleyJ on topic RIDE Sunday Oct 14th

YW-Slayer wrote: Never done Ho Pui but I'd like to. TLC reservoir off-road section is very good fun, and a good wind-down if you have previously hit some more extreme stuff. There is one section in particular which is perhaps as good uphill as downhill (maybe even better uphill!). Can't overemphasise the importance of having some extra gels/food and AT LEAST 3L of water on a warm day (so a Camelbak or equivalent is pretty much a must-have).

I have also found that such trails are usually devoid of hikers/bikers in the afternoons as everyone clears off by around 2pm or so, probably for family reasons. I highly recommend trying an afternoon ride sometime, as it's a totally different experience. Plus this means you can have an early dinner at the Gold Coast. Chips with lamb meat, cheese, chili sauce, and garlic mayo, mmmm....

I have to ride up Ho Pui trail to get into Tai Lam Reservoir nowadays, what with the AFCD having random patrols more often on the water-catchment route. :(

Agreed on the second point about riding in the afternoon... that's also my preferred time, if only for the fact I never was, and never ever will be a morning person. B)

6 years 5 days ago #2917 by boost
Replied by boost on topic RIDE Sunday Oct 14th

StanleyJ wrote: I have to ride up Ho Pui trail to get into Tai Lam Reservoir nowadays, what with the AFCD having random patrols more often on the water-catchment route. :(

Patrols on the water-catchment route? Is this applicable to all of HK? I mean are water-catchment routes not 'open' to mountain bikes or is this just applicable to Tai Lam Reservoir?

Thanks.

6 years 4 days ago #2918 by YW-Slayer
I haven't looked at the map, but it's probably because the water-catchment route is within a country park, and hence within the AFCD's remit. It is an offence to be in possession of a bicycle anywhere in a country park other than on a designated mountain bike trail.

The MBA and other parties are campaigning to try and change this archaic and silly regulation. If you'd like to help, let us know!

6 years 4 days ago #2921 by StanleyJ
YW-Slayer basically got it. Though it seems there are internal squabbling between the WSD and AFCD too. The paved legal Ho Pui MTB trail on concrete from the Ho Pui picnic area up to the reservoir is WSD "private road". Then you get Action Asia races which once had the Ho Pui downhill/enduro and the finish was at the aforementioned picnic area yet came down an unmarked trail that runs behind the HKFYG Organic Farm, so technically illegal, though the AFCD okay'ed it for the race(?!). When was the last time any HKMBA representatives bashed heads at the AFCD? My court summons is tomorrow. :angry:

6 years 4 days ago #2923 by YW-Slayer
Well, steps are afoot to try and push the AFCD in what we see is the right direction. However, it is not going to be easy.

6 years 4 days ago #2925 by StanleyJ

YW-Slayer wrote: Well, steps are afoot to try and push the AFCD in what we see is the right direction. However, it is not going to be easy.

Last time I saw the AFCD people working on the trails was back in May and they hinted that after the rainy season (like, err, now for the next 6 months), another IMBA level trail is to be added/constructed. They didn't say were... though this year in general, I see a heck of a lot more people out on MTBs this year compared to previous. If the AFCD are going to keep being as retarded as they are currently with regard to trail access points... well, all I can do is throw my arms up in horror! :sick:

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
Time to create page: 0.507 seconds
© Hong Kong Mountain Bike Association. All Rights Reserved.