× Talking Bikes 技術資訊

Santa Cruz Tallboy

7 years 2 months ago #1871 by Aldrx
Santa Cruz Tallboy was created by Aldrx
As u might have seen from my previuos posts I am thinking of buying a new bike when moving to HK. Atfer been reading a number of articles/forums/reviews I am really tempted to buy a SC Tallboy, but would that type of bike be suitable for the trails in HK? So, my question is if anyone has a Tallboy or have tried a Tallboy in HK and would like to share the experience?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 2 months ago #1879 by alistaire.huggins
Hi, I dont own a Tall Boy but I do own a similar all mountain bike in Hong Kong. Its fine for the majority of trails. But most downhill sections I do much slower than my friends with bigger burlier bikes. If I were you I would opt for something with more travel, it will make your riding in Hong Kong more fun but also tougher to push to the top.

Hope this helped

7 years 2 months ago #1880 by Aldrx
Replied by Aldrx on topic Santa Cruz Tallboy
Thx for your input! It's just that I really like the look of the Tallboy :-D Looks so fast! Saw the new Yeti SB 66 - might be an alternative, but I am very interested in trying a 29er. Is it a 29er u have yourself?

7 years 2 months ago #1881 by ang
Replied by ang on topic Santa Cruz Tallboy
Dunno anyone with a 29er and it'd be interesting to try a big wheel on the same trail. Wonder how the bike reacts when it runs over tree roots and rock gardens.

7 years 2 months ago #1884 by Aldrx
Never tried a 29er myself but getting very tempted to buy one after reading so much about them. And then the Tallboy seems to be top of the line, at least when reading the reviews and what the owners are saying. My only question mark is if it is too much of a XC racing bike for my skills and for the trails in HK?

7 years 1 month ago #1910 by annoporci
Replied by annoporci on topic Santa Cruz Tallboy
Hi, I'm in HK, don't have a bike at this time but plan to get one this fall (used to ride, but couldn't store the bike in my small flat!), and I too have been reading about 29ers, they seem to be the trend, those who like them don't list any negatives mind you the positives are possibly exaggerated, still it's exciting to go for something new, and I too have been attracted to the Santa Cruz Tallboy! so here's my point: have you heard about CHIRU ? it's a HK-made bike that's got a couple of rave reviews, I haven't made any contact with them as I'm still researching, but you may want to look into it.

www.chirubikes.com/

7 years 1 month ago #1918 by Aldrx
Saw the review of Chiru on this site, but that is about all. Considering the money to be spent the Tallboy feels like a better bet. Everybody is raving about the Tallboy both in plenty of "professional" review as well as in private ones. It also feels more safe to buy from a well established MTB manufacturer as Santa Cruz.

7 years 1 month ago #1919 by ang
Replied by ang on topic Santa Cruz Tallboy

used to ride, but couldn't store the bike in my small flat!

You can consider hanging the bike up against the wall, provided that family members dont mind seeing a MTB on the wall.

7 years 1 month ago #1920 by annoporci
unfortunately, family members DO mind! I'm still searching for solutions, one would be to hang it somewhere on the balcony, but this would be a typhoon hazard, another option to be to get a foldable bike like changebike here

but I haven't seen reviews of it on the trails, so not sure what to do...

7 years 1 month ago #1921 by annoporci
fair enough Aldrx, been having the same thoughts, esp. as the chiru website is not very clear about how to order from them, it only lists the frame prices, not the fully-mounted bikes, and I don't fancy building a bike from scratch given the limited space in my flat!

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
Time to create page: 0.576 seconds
© Hong Kong Mountain Bike Association. All Rights Reserved.