× Talking Bikes 技術資訊

Topic-icon Santa Cruz Tallboy

6 years 11 months ago #1922

• Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • Hi Guys, better to test the bike before buying it, and that's what you can do with the CHIRU PULSE, and I'll tell you more about our frame designs, our components and you will be able to check by your self the difference...unfortunately, i don't think you will be able to do that with Santa cruz and you will have to rely on what is written in reviews....Our bikes are in-house engineered and produced by a high end Taiwanese manufacturer producing for high end european and US brands , send me en email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for more info.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 years 11 months ago #1923

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• Thank you received: 8

• If you plan to ride offroad, do not buy a folder.

You're not alone. The majority of the HK cyclists including you and me are having the same problem; limited space in the house and it is going to take some effort in order to store a bike in the house.

I took the front wheel & seatpost off the bike and store them separately off the main bike, manage to cut down on the overall dimension so that I can put the bike up-side-down under a study desk and sorta out of sight.

Some people would hang it up the wall or ceiling in order to minimize the floor space taken.

6 years 11 months ago #1925

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• Thank you received: 16

• You can look at a Chiru (if it's still there) at Sky Blue Bikes in Sheung Wan. They are very friendly and may even allow you a test ride.

www.skybluebikes.com/

6 years 11 months ago #1927

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received:

• @ chirubike, YW-Slayer, thanks for these tips, will follow up in the fall (can't test any bikes right now unfortunately)

@ ang, yes I'm very reluctant about the foldable bikes, esp. given my weight and aggressivity off the road (and lack of skill makes it worse), must definitely take the wheel and saddle off, but here's a related question:

[it's a little off topic, should I start a new thread?]

how about mounting some easily-removed pedals? so as to take up even less space in storage, any suggestions about that? ( I'm looking at platform pedals because I like to dump the bike in bushes and run up to the top of the mountain once in a while. :silly: )

6 years 11 months ago #1930

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• annoporci wrote:

@ ang, yes I'm very reluctant about the foldable bikes, esp. given my weight and aggressivity off the road (and lack of skill makes it worse), must definitely take the wheel and saddle off, but here's a related question:

how about mounting some easily-removed pedals? so as to take up even less space in storage, any suggestions about that? ( I'm looking at platform pedals because I like to dump the bike in bushes and run up to the top of the mountain once in a while. :silly: )

If you have a limited budget, check out used bikes. The 2nd hand market is quite active in HK. By the way, are you going to get a hardtail or a full sus?

You can consider those quick-release pedals if and only if you're a light-weight.

Otherwise, stick to regular platform pedal with Cr-Mo spindle.

Last Edit: 6 years 11 months ago by ang.

6 years 11 months ago #1931

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received:

• ang wrote:

If you have a limited budget, check out used bikes. The 2nd hand market is quite active in HK. By the way, are you going to get a hardtail or a full sus?

I'm tempted by a FS 29er like the Santa Cruz Tallboy (not sure if medium or large though, my height is 1m79, average leg proportions), at this time, based on some discussions I've read at forums.mtbr.com/ and elsewhere, the only problem would be the price, esp. if my wife finds out... Can you find a bike like that second hand in HK? alibaba points to some resellers based in HK, but is that the way to go? thanks!

You can consider those quick-release pedals if and only if you're a light-weight. Otherwise, stick to regular platform pedal with Cr-Mo spindle.

definitely overweight unfortunately, but what are the Cr-Mo spindles? you don't mean Chronic Recurrent Multifocal Osteomyelitis do you :silly:

Edit. Okay, I get it: Cr-Mo is short for Chrome Moly, which is short for an alloy of steel, chromium and molybdenum. Wow.
    my source:
    answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080725121850AAqnMBj

Last Edit: 6 years 11 months ago by annoporci.

6 years 11 months ago #1932

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received:

• to clarify,

1. my budget is about 30,000 HKD because that's what my brothers spent on their bikes and as the eldest I couldn't possibly allow them to overspend me, but my previous bike was "only" 10,000HKD, and I'm reading the Santa Cruz Tallboy sells in the 35,000-50,000 range or something! so second-hand is probably my only hope. A couple of Santa Cruz Tallboys are on sale on ebay right now, from the U.S., their owners claim they don't have time to ride and have only used the bike like once... dodgy?

2. any foldable or detachable pedals you'd recommend for off-road riding? I can't seem to find a consensus on those in the forum discussions I've read.

6 years 11 months ago #1933

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• Tallboy is a new model so I doubt there is any 2nd hand right now.

Quick-release pedals are not recommend for offroad.

6 years 11 months ago #1934

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Well I understand that removable pedals are not really recommended for off the road biking, but my situation is: I must remove the pedals for storage, and I can't be bothered to use tools for that every time, even if I need to replace the pedals once a year that would be fine with me...

I was thinking of getting the MKS Esprit EZY [Superior] pedals, they get good reviews, apparently okay for non-competitve mountain biking ... any comments?

www.calhouncycle.com/productcart/pc/view...ry=22&idproduct=2076

6 years 11 months ago #1935

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received:

• you can find the occasional bike on sale on ebay, but 1) warranty from santa cruz is only to the original buyer, 2) you don't know what you're getting until you receive it!

Any retailers of this bike in HK ?

Examples: (these links will go dead soon)
    cgi.ebay.com/Santa-Cruz-Tallboy-Medium-R...&hash=item2566622c77

cgi.ebay.com/Santa-Cruz-Tallboy-Black-Me...&hash=item27bd33c4dd

Moderators: bikestevebrandon