× Talking Bikes 技術資訊

Topic-icon Santa Cruz Tallboy

6 years 11 months ago #1936

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • An interesting review here, there is a "cheap" version of the tallboy that comes at about 2,300 USD in aluminium, so I think that would be about 2,800 USD in carbon. Opinion?

www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mo...minum-spxxc-11-44647

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 years 11 months ago #1937

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• Thank you received: 8

• MKS (made in Japan) quick-release pedals get good comment from local riders.

Dont have a clue about Santa Cruz Tallboy and 29er...all of the MTB I've met on the trail are regular 26" wheeler.

6 years 10 months ago #1948

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received:

• I am also looking at the Tallboy. Read on the internet that you can also get it with 120mm front suspension - any views on whether that, or the 100mm, would be a better option for Hong Kong?

6 years 10 months ago #1949

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received:

• The Flying Ball Bicycle Shop in Kowloon has a Santa Cruz Tallboy, Medium size, the "entry level" equipment (I forget what it's called), for 38,000HKD. You can ask questions and sit on it to see how it feels. The guy at the flying ball shop is not a 29er enthusiast. I really need to go out there and try it, it does feel quite big. I'm still very much unsure about what to do, and at that price my hesitation could last a little while...

6 years 10 months ago #1950

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received:

• I think the setup on that one is actually the second-highest among the available options.. SRAM X0 etc. Weighs 25lbs without pedals.

Warning: getimagesize(/home/hkmba/www/www/media/kunena/ranks/hkmba logo_211.png): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/hkmba/www/www/libraries/kunena/user/user.php on line 902
    6 years 10 months ago #1951

Warning: getimagesize(/home/hkmba/www/www/media/kunena/ranks/hkmba logo_211.png): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/hkmba/www/www/libraries/kunena/user/user.php on line 902

• HKMBA
  • HKMBA

• Thank you received: 7

• Hi annoporci,

Not all folks are sold on the 29er frame size yet especially some of the more established shops who have to invest in the 29er inventory and are unlikely to do so if they think this is fad. Bob, the former HKMBA chairman, is die hard 29er fan and I can tell you that it was a challenge hanging on to Bob's wheel on technical hill climbs and I blame the wheel size differential and not my lack of fitness ;)

Since Flying Ball failed to quench your thirst for information about the TallBoy then I suggest that you next try Sky Blue Bikes at 4 Bonham Strand in Sheung Wan. The owners are firmly committed to the 29er format and carry Trek, Gary Fisher, Chiru and other brands. Elissa, one of the owners, is thrilled with her new 29er. They'll let you test ride bikes there and answer all your questions to give you some peace of mind before buying.

6 years 10 months ago #1952

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received: 1

• lagerkranser wrote:

I think the setup on that one is actually the second-highest among the available options.. SRAM X0 etc. Weighs 25lbs without pedals.

Been there having a look at it and it felt really light. However, I want to have XT on mine and then the 2012 model. When asked if that could be arrange the answer was that it might take up to 3-4 weeks to get the parts, but would be appr. 3,000 HKD cheaper then the SRAM specced Tallboy. Planning to go to Flying Ball this weekend and I might place an order :) If so I am also going for a 120 mm fork. Want a bit slacker angle and some more travel.

6 years 10 months ago #1953

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Any particular reason why you prefer the XC setup, aside from price? Alas I was told I am too short for the 120mm fork... Am 178cm and apparently it would put the family jewels in jeopardy. Bummer.

6 years 10 months ago #1956

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received: 1

• lagerkranser wrote:

Any particular reason why you prefer the XC setup, aside from price? Alas I was told I am too short for the 120mm fork... Am 178cm and apparently it would put the family jewels in jeopardy. Bummer.

On my old Specialized Enduro Expert I have has a mix of XTR/XT/LX and I really liked it. Worked flawlessly for many years so I will stick with Shimano. The other reason is the reviews I had read about the 2012 XT group - seems to be really, really good, quite close to XTR but at a lower price.

The 120 mm fork will give the bike, besides more travel, a slacker steering angle. Think it was in the range of 0.5 degree. And many seems to recommend the 120 mm fork and if you chose a fork with adjustable travel you can chose the mm what suits you best.

I am 179 cm and do not really think I am too short, but on the other hand I have not tested it.

Last Edit: 6 years 10 months ago by Aldrx.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: tavaenga

6 years 10 months ago #1957

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Hi Tom,

this is very useful info. I will visit the Sky Blue Bikes shop (another great name). Indeed I will need to test ride. Must wait till October, however, and hopefully no later, as I'm currently recovering from a cracked rib (soccer incident). I wish I could go right now!

Moderators: bikestevebrandon