× Talking Bikes 技術資訊

Topic-icon Santa Cruz Tallboy

6 years 9 months ago #1958

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • lagerkranser, you're 1m78 and 120mm is too big?

Aldrx, you're 1m79 and 120mm is fine?

I'm 1m78 and a half (no kidding), wow I'd better look into this 100mm v. 120mm seriously. Another reason to test-ride. A 0.5 degrees difference... is that a lot?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 years 9 months ago #1959

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received: 1

• annoporci wrote:

lagerkranser, you're 1m78 and 120mm is too big?

Aldrx, you're 1m79 and 120mm is fine?

I'm 1m78 and a half (no kidding), wow I'd better look into this 100mm v. 120mm seriously. Another reason to test-ride. A 0.5 degrees difference... is that a lot?

Lot of discussion around the 100 vs 120 in other forums. Example of a thread here And there are many more - big decision u know :)

6 years 9 months ago #1960

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Maybe my legs are just unnaturally short... But that's what the guy told me. Regardless, I will double check at the store. Don't think the angle makes that much difference but the 120 would of course soak up more bumps.

6 years 9 months ago #1961

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received:

• wow, another one to think about! thanks for the pointer Aldrx,

favourite quote from that thread: "For me the sweet spot is 110mm"

6 years 9 months ago #1962

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Most people seem to be in the 120mm camp...

6 years 8 months ago #1964

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Some Tallboy owners review of their bike can be found here .

6 years 8 months ago #1965

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Talked to the woman at Sky Blue Bike today... Her message was, if the SC guys built it with 100mm, they built it like that for a reason and don't mess with it. She's using a Gary Fisher 29er with 100mm front shock and says there's nothing in HK that baby can't handle... think I'm gonna take her word for it.
    However, she didn't buy the argument that being 178 makes me too short for going with 120mm.

Warning: getimagesize(/home/hkmba/www/www/media/kunena/ranks/hkmba logo_211.png): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/hkmba/www/www/libraries/kunena/user/user.php on line 902
    6 years 8 months ago #1966

Warning: getimagesize(/home/hkmba/www/www/media/kunena/ranks/hkmba logo_211.png): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/hkmba/www/www/libraries/kunena/user/user.php on line 902

• HKMBA
  • HKMBA

• Thank you received: 7

• Elissa gave you sound advice about sticking with manufacturer recommended travel.

I made the mistake a few years back purchasing an a nearly new (used twice) Elssworth Truth with a Talas 140mm fork. For the next few weeks I just could not get the rear suspension (sag) dialed correctly unless I set the fork to its lowest level (approx 100mm) and at any other fork setting the bike was rubbish. Later I checked the manufacturer website for tech details and they said the max fork travel was around 100mm (maybe 110?). I ditched the frame and moved the parts over to a yeti 575 and have been happy ever since.

If the tallboy can take the 120mm without disturbing the handling and rear suspension function then I would go with that no matter how tall you are. The extra mm can make the difference between getting safely through a rocky or eroded section or going over the handlebars. I side with the safer passage.

6 years 8 months ago #1967

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• If the tallboy can take the 120mm without disturbing the handling and rear suspension function then I would go with that no matter how tall you are. The extra mm can make the difference between getting safely through a rocky or eroded section or going over the handlebars. I side with the safer passage.

On Santa Cruz webpage you can chose if you want to have a 100 or 120 mm fork, so the bike is constructed for forks within this range. See here and then click "Custom Offerings".

6 years 8 months ago #1968

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Yep, I came across that earlier... Well, at the very least I'm going to ask the guy if I can even TRY what the 120mm setup would feel like.
    Also, Fox has a new Float 23 Kashima rear suspension that's supposed to be awesome... not sure what the extra cost of upgrading to that would be.

Moderators: bikestevebrandon