× Talking Bikes 技術資訊

Santa Cruz Tallboy

7 years 1 month ago #1969 by annoporci
Replied by annoporci on topic Santa Cruz Tallboy
This is a very helpful discussion, I'm glad I didn't rush into a purchase as usually do, have got to be thankful for being injured and having more time to think.

And especially more time to raise the money ... 38,000 HKD ... that's 3 times the price of my previous bike!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 1 month ago #1970 by bikesteve
Replied by bikesteve on topic Santa Cruz Tallboy
When you do get it feel free to submit a review on your findings!

7 years 1 month ago #1971 by lagerkranser
Replied by lagerkranser on topic Santa Cruz Tallboy
Will most certainly do... my only fear is it may be another month before the weather's cool enough to ride in!

7 years 1 month ago #1973 by lagerkranser
This is the response I got from Santa Cruz, so straight from the horse's mouth so to say:

``This is really going to depend on your personal preference.
The Tallboy model is designed around 100mm and 120mm forks.
*100mm travel is optimal for riders looking for more of an XC ride with
quicker steering.
*120mm travel is optimal for those that want longer travel and more of a
Œtrail bike¹ feel.
The Tallboy frame geometry spec on our website is made with a 100mm travel
fork (RS Reba 29 used - 505mm axle to crown).
www.santacruzbicycles.com/tallboy_carbon/#geo.php

At the factory here, most guys are running 120mm forks on their Tallboys.
Seems to be the more popular choice for the guys that use their bikes for
mostly 'Trail Riding' and general all-around use. Some of the XC racer types
here are running 100mm, so if that is more your riding style/focus, that's the way to go. Most customers do seem to opt for 120mm these days.

The standover height will only change by about 15mm with the fork change to
120mm. Not that much but again, will depend on your personal fit."

7 years 1 month ago #1974 by Aldrx
Replied by Aldrx on topic Santa Cruz Tallboy
Nice answer from SC!

BTW I was visiting Flying Ball yday and the SRAM fitted Tallboy had a sign on it saying that it was on hold for someone coming in later the same day. Could it be someone in this thread maybe :-)

7 years 1 month ago #1975 by lagerkranser
Guilty as charged. Picked it up yesterday.
So, for those out there waiting in agony: I took it for a first spin today and here are my initial thoughts. But first, some disclosure:
- I am very far from a bike expert -- the only one I've owned up until now is a Giant Anthem X2, purchased two years ago. Today I noticed I've been riding it with waaaay too much air pressure in the front fork (testament to my lack of expertise).
- I haven't been on a bike for at least four months.
- This morning I did a full-hour leg session in the gym (squats etc) so my legs weren't really in pristine condition during the ride.

I live in Mid-Levels, so at just after 4pm today I rode my bike up to Wan Chai Gap and then down to a 7 kilometer section of the Hong Kong trail. Note to editor: it was only after that I realized this trail is off limits to bikers -- sorry!
OK, so the first impression: this baby eats terrain like my cat eats tuna -- that is to say, ruthlessly and without remorse. This probably won't come as a surprise to the 29er owners out there, but I sure was blown away. I ended up getting the 100mm fork (more about that later) and it just chugged through stuff that would have made my Anthem mighty twitchy. Stairs, rocks, you name it; it just powered over.
A little bit about the specs: mine came with Formula One brakes and SRAM XO. The brakes are sublime and so is the XO groupset: shifting is quick and crisp. (I have full XT on my Anthem). The Tallboy weighed in at exactly 25 pounds without pedals.
I certainly didn't feel like I was giving up handling and acceleration: Even with the rear suss fully open, the bike practicaly begged to be ridden hard. And it handled tight corners with aplomb. The 29er tubes take less air pressure, and I imagine that helps dampen bumps; it most certainly improved traction.
So, to sum up my brief experience: this thing climbs like a monkey on speed and descends like a base-jumper. For doing what I like most -- blasting around Chi Ma Wan and Tai Lam Reservoir to the best of my ability -- it's nothing short of sublime. As far as the 100mm vs. 120mm debate is concerned, I'm pretty content with my choice. I believe that if you put a 120mm fork on this thing, nothing could stop you; boulders would feel like pebbles and you could literally ride down skyscrapers.
The only question that sort of got stuck in my mind is whether 29ers could make you a worse rider since you don't have to pick your lines as carefully as on a 26in bike. But that's for another forum I think. Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to getting out to Chi Ma Wan once the weather gets cooler and obliterating my best lap time!

Hope this was of some help to someone.

7 years 1 month ago #1976 by Aldrx
A big congrats!

And a big thx for taking the time to share your initial impression. Now I get even more eager to get one myself.

I have to today made the following list to be sent over to Flying Ball for a quote:

* Santa Cruz Tallboy, medium, black
* Shimano XT 2012
* Front der, 10 SPD
* Rear der, 10 SPD
* Shifters
* Crankset 24/32/42, 10 SPD
* Casette 11-36
* Brakes w 160 mm Ice Tech rotors
* SPD pedals - Shimano PD-M530 Trail
* Bars - Easton Monkey Bar EA 70 Riser
* Stem - Easton EA 70 (length to be decided)
* Headset- Canecreek 40
* Seat post - Thomson Elite
* Wheels -Mavic TN 719 disc rims laced to DT 350 15 mm front hub and DT 350 rea hub w/ DT 15/15 gauge spokes, brass nipples
* Tires - Maxis Crossmark 2.1
* Fork - 120 mm Fox
* Saddle - Fizik Gobi XM Wingflex 2011

Unfortunately it seems as if it will take until September before it can be delivered with the above specs.

Have great fun with your Tallboy!

7 years 1 month ago #1977 by lagerkranser
May the Force be with you. Hopefully we'll bump into each other on the trail!

7 years 1 month ago #1978 by annoporci
Replied by annoporci on topic Santa Cruz Tallboy
Niiiiiiice!

I'm so envious! Enjoy!

7 years 1 month ago #1981 by Aldrx
lagerkranser - may I ask how tall you are and what size your Tallboy is?

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
Time to create page: 1.006 seconds
© Hong Kong Mountain Bike Association. All Rights Reserved.