× Talking Bikes 技術資訊

Questions for bar end

6 years 7 months ago #2513 by 071004349
Hi everyone, I have just brought a mtb for few months for starting a project in school and also for leisure~ I am a studying in University in HK and my project is about designing a bar end for mtb. So I have just brought one and equipped at my bike.

But as i know many cyclists just changed to use riser bar. But i haven't used it before.Is there still cyclist using bar end? What actually does bar end function? I just think that bar could protect your help from scratching outside and also providing one more place or position for the cyclist to grasp it. Is there any extra functions for bar end?

After trying it several times, i found some questions or problems about using it. Would you mind helping me filling the questionaire? It just has 13 questions and takes less than 1 min.

Thank you very much for helping a lot!!!
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?for...RjeVdjOFFIV2VaT2c6MQ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 7 months ago #2515 by ang
Replied by ang on topic Questions for bar end
I dont use bar end. I think bar end let you position in a more effective way to assist pedaling or climbing.

6 years 7 months ago #2516 by tom
Replied by tom on topic Questions for bar end
Bar ends are great as they let you better use the strength of your biceps to get more force out of your body and push through the pedals. Just watch the tour de france riders as they climb and you will see they place their hands in roughly the same position. They need ergo contouring and padding to be comfortable however there are some drawbacks:
  • they can expose your hands, especially the pinky to damage if you crash while holding them or when brushing too close to trees or rocks
  • They can snag the vegetation causing the handlebars to go in another direction usually resulting in a crash
  • [/ul

If you are designing them then learn about the bio mechanics of the body and also make them comfortable and light... then you can make lots of $$ selling to the weight watchers..

6 years 7 months ago #2520 by 071004349
Replied by 071004349 on topic Questions for bar end
Thanks for your comments!!
I just have some questions and ideas for the bar end.
I would like to design a bar end with comfortable shape while maintaining the minimum weight. But is the bar end made to be hollow for those made of aluminium alloy/carbon fiber?
Also i have an idea to make the angle of the bar end to be instantly adjustable since there might be different inclined angle during the ride. So the bar end could provide the function of leverage. So i think if the angle of the bar end could be adjusted, it might help efficiency of the cycling.

6 years 7 months ago #2521 by tom
Replied by tom on topic Questions for bar end
I think you should search online or visit a few bike shops to learn more about what is on the market. Bar ends tend to be limited to the Cross Country rider/racer market which is not that big. They have evolved over the years and already there arm many choices and comfort styles. They are hollow and adjustable bar ends may no be worth the trouble. Often those with carbon handbars do not use them as the handlebars are not strong enough. Generally we fix them on once and ride. In a crash they often twist out of place...

Nothing beat first hand experience so start by visiting shops, buy a few designs, then head out to the MTB trails and just ask people whether they would use them. Maybe take your new bike out for an adventure!

6 years 7 months ago #2523 by 071004349
Replied by 071004349 on topic Questions for bar end
Thanks for your opinion!! I would try to get familiar with the bar end. :)

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
Time to create page: 0.454 seconds
© Hong Kong Mountain Bike Association. All Rights Reserved.