× Talking Bikes 技術資訊

What fork??

9 years 9 months ago #616 by econbus
What fork?? was created by econbus
I'm thinking about buying a new fork - I currently run a 140mm Rockshox Pike which has been excellent but I'm looking for a bit more travel. Am considering a 180mm Marzocchi RC coil - any comments on this fork? Does it have a lockout for climbing? Would welcome your advice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 9 months ago #617 by ratcat
Replied by ratcat on topic What fork??
don't know much about forks. I just upgrade from Reba to Float 32. Plenty good upgrade for me. I know a few person who has Marzocchi and they find it kind of heavy and slugish and the controls (rebound) on them is not the greatest. One of them is selling his old Marzocchi 66, he just got upgrade to Float 36. He find the the Float more responsive, better bump respond and much better in handling.

9 years 9 months ago #618 by jezblanchard
Replied by jezblanchard on topic What fork??
Econbus,
Are you going to put this on your Giant?
My comments:
Have you considered a Van 36, excellent fork but no lock out, tracks well on climbs on bikes like the Nomad or the RS Lyric?
There are many variants of the 66, some have adjustable travel, but are air and don't have the best reputation for reliability. The 66 also run quite high, are heavy but are buttery smooth, happier on the way down as opposed to up in my view.
One model is a 170mm SL model, with air preload on one side ( its a big Z1 Light basically ), you can use the ETA setting for climbs.
The new Talas 36 is rated but I am just not an air fan.

For me depends what your fitting it too, ifs its a reign, you will make the BB higher affect the cornering but be better on the bigger hits with a 180mm 66. I think maybe a Fox 36 or a RS Lyric, which is light, and can be dialed down (maybe even lock out ) would suit, but this is based on me thinking of you on your Giant.

Hop this helps,

Cheers,
Jez

9 years 9 months ago #620 by Jeff
Replied by Jeff on topic What fork??
I'm thinking of moving from a 130 Revelation to something longer- either a Lyrik Solo Air, or a Marz Z1 RC2.

Web trawls have suggested that both these forks will be reliable choices. The Lyrik 2-steps and any Marz with TST sound like maintenance nightmares.

Econ- why would you even want lockout on a 180mm fork? The front would be so high that climbing would be difficult- some sort of height adjust would be much more useful.

9 years 9 months ago #625 by econbus
Replied by econbus on topic What fork??
Thanks for your comments - after reading the reviews, the 160mm RS Lyrik Solo Air seems like an excellent choice.

8 years 2 weeks ago #1497 by ang
Replied by ang on topic What fork??
Anyone out there has changed oil in their FOX F-series open bath fork? Pls share your DIY experience :cheer:

8 years 1 week ago #1518 by BoogieMan
Replied by BoogieMan on topic What fork??
Get a All Mtn FR. ETA, TST, rebound & air/coil fork. One of the best freeride fork. Only thing U have to look out. Fork bushing play issued. I took it back to Marzocchi valencia, CA(one hour drive from my house). I know them....fixed it for free.
Or get a Marzocchi All Mtn 1 160mm change QR lower to Z150 lower. That's what I have it now. Marzocchi All Mtn 1 get TAS(travel Adjust System), TST lock-out, ETA(extensive travel adjuster). Rebound & air/coil compression. Can't get any better that. Barely hit 5lbs. Plush & stable. Sick!
One more...Marzocchi 66ETA RC2 170mm travel. I have it on my Orange Patriot 7 PLUS. The whole damn bike is only 34lbs. 7" front & 7" rear with Marzocchi Roco TST R.
I don't like Fox that much...not plush enough. Just like some peoples like Mercedes...they stick with it. They won't buy BMW...same shit.

8 years 1 week ago #1519 by econbus
Replied by econbus on topic What fork??
I've been running the Marzocchi 180mm 66 ATA on my Giant XO for 18 months now - a superb fork - very stiff and it soaks up 5 foot drops like you were popping off a kerb. My only complaint - the QR axle never seems 100% tight - there's a slight bit of lateral play in the wheel - not dangerous - it's never come loose, but a bit annoying. There were lots of complaints about quality on previous models but it's been great. I run a Fox Van RC2 on my other bike - a bit less travel at 160mm, but again an excellent fork which tracks really well through tricky sections and can take some decent sized hits.

8 years 1 week ago #1520 by BoogieMan
Replied by BoogieMan on topic What fork??
Check the front hub bearing. Or put different front wheel & see how it goes.
I bet 80% is a hub bearing. Or other 20% could be the front hub not a true 110mm thru axle hub. Just slightly off by 0.111. And make a difference.
What kinda hub are U using?

6 years 6 months ago #2416 by ang
Replied by ang on topic What fork??
Could not find the TST Air service manual 2010 on Marzocchi website, only the user manual.

Anyone got a link for the technical service manual for TST Air unit?

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
Time to create page: 0.582 seconds
© Hong Kong Mountain Bike Association. All Rights Reserved.