× Got a Question 疑難解答

relocating from U.S. - could use some advice

7 years 1 month ago #2033 by mingya
I'm relocating to Shekou from U.S. in about 2 months, relieved to find this mtb group and signs that I'll be able to ride while there. Will I have decent enough access via public trans to the best riding or will I need to consider getting a vehicle while there? Is there any decent riding in the Shenzhen/Shekou area? Best advice on getting bikes from US to China? Bring the hardtail 29er or the full sus....which is better suited to the terrain I'll find? Thanks for any and all input.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 4 weeks ago - 7 years 3 weeks ago #2051 by enzoferrari
Hi Mingya welcome to Shenzhen!
Getting you bike around here should be no problem as there are 'private' taxis that operate in China (as well as the regular ones) and some of these are mini-vans.
I am no expert on the routes and trails around SZ ( I tend to ride near my work in Humen) but would say that either or FS / 29er would do fine, in SZ probably more in the 29er direction as all trails I know of are 80%tarmac-20%dirt road. In Tai Lam people are riding all sorts up to full body armour DH rigs (youtube - tai lam DH).
Next month onwards I am planning to zip over to Tia Lam area a couple of week ends each month after my new FS rig arrives next week :woohoo: . It takes me around an hour from Shekou to get over the Shenzhen bay bridge border and up the hill (taxi-border-taxi) so not to far for some single track fun

6 years 10 months ago #2204 by mingya
Hi enzoferrari and many thanks for your response. Apologies for my late reply. My assignment was delayed but I'm now planning on arriving in January. I'd be interested to find out how you are making out with riding, esp getting over to HK, and what I should be doing now to be able to make sure I can ride in HK as much as possible. Did you secure a permit and if so, how? Would also be enormously grateful to be "shown the ropes" of the best way of getting to the riding in HK, good/technical trails, etc.

6 years 9 months ago #2256 by enzoferrari
Hi Mingya. Riding trips to HK are going great, takes around an hour door-to-trail if I leave before 7am (the boarder gets busy after that). You need a HK address for the riding permit to be sent to, I used a friends office ( if you need PM me and I will give you the address ), then you just gotta fax or send the application form. When do you arrive?

6 years 9 months ago #2257 by mingya
enzoferrari, a colleague is assisting me with the permit, so I should be all set. Thanks for the offer of help. I'm arriving early next week and would be eager to ride just about anytime, assuming my permit comes through quickly. Riding with someone who has some local knowledge of the trails and transport to/from would be a big plus for me. Thanks.

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
Time to create page: 0.492 seconds
© Hong Kong Mountain Bike Association. All Rights Reserved.