× Got a Question 疑難解答

Topic-icon Might be moving to HK: where to live/bike?

Warning: getimagesize(/home/hkmba/www/www/media/kunena/ranks/hkmba logo_211.png): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/hkmba/www/www/libraries/kunena/user/user.php on line 902
6 years 1 week ago #2271

Warning: getimagesize(/home/hkmba/www/www/media/kunena/ranks/hkmba logo_211.png): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/hkmba/www/www/libraries/kunena/user/user.php on line 902

• HKMBA
  • HKMBA

• Thank you received: 7

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • Tantrum, your relocation story is eerily similar to mine apart from the children. I settled on Lamma and now live/work in a two story village home with garden for very reasonable rate. Lamma has a greater sense of community than elsewhere and the natural recreational options are very convenient, especially the mountain biking (90% XC). Many expats live here and the last informal poll on a local webziine ( www.lamma.com.hk Oh, and the editor of this site is Swiss ..) identified at least 60 different nationalities residing on the island. Children do make the trek to the assorted schools on HK island and seem to enjoy the safety and freedom that a quiet, car free island provides. The locals are much more relaxed and friendlier than their city brethren. And you will have ample storage for you bikes and parts...

Drawbacks are primarily related to the ferry service and the lack of access to good shops and restaurants and you will find yourself cursing these deficits frequently (especially if you missed the ferry by 1 minute). And you will have to adjust to living next to or in sight of a gargantuan coal fired power generation station...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 years 1 week ago #2274

• Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• Thank you received: 1

• Thanks Tom. Lamma sounds cool and we'll definitely visit in April. There's a strong possibility my family would be keen on it, but I look at the ferry timetables and shudder a bit myself. We'd probably be looking at the 6:20 to Central to be sure of making it to school on time (7:40 start at The Peak), or maybe the 6:40 to Aberdeen and then a high-speed taxi up the hill. This would be fun the first few weeks I guess and then... :)

None of us are early morning people. :laugh:

Personally, I think perhaps living somewhere on the southside near the Aberdeen ferry might make for a convenient trip out to ride. Is there enough variety or scope on Lamma do you think to make it worth travelling from HK Island for a weekly or twice-weekly ride?

6 years 1 week ago #2275

• HKMBA
  • HKMBA

• Thank you received: 7

• Glad to help. For school commuting questions related to living on lamma I would try posting a polite question on the Lamma.com.hk forum. You will find that there are other parents coping with the same problem on the island. Many employ a helper or pool together.

HK Island is a great choice for MTB options if you can afford the rent and dont have a fear of living on the 45th floor in a 600sq ft flat in an urban wasteland like the mid levels or elsewhere. There is only a single legal trail on HK island but there are a few trails that the HKMBA would love to see legalized that would make excellent MTB trails spanning the island. From HK island you can get to TMS as quickly as Lamma and TMS has the best all mountain riding. Also you have better access to Lantau (only one ferry, not two if you lived on Lamma). Chi Ma Wan has some spectacular scenery and is targeted for improvement if that official MTB project ever gets under way (the concept came from around 2004 and the govt are still talking about it...Olympic stadiums are built faster than an MTB trail here)

Good luck and happy hunting.

5 years 9 months ago #2560

• Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• I thought I should update this thread, given we've just returned from our exploratory visit.

The good news is my wife and the kids, all first time visitors to HK, had a great time and are amenable to giving living there a go. And I did a 4-hour ride with Steve of HK Crossing in TMS and I can see that living in HK would not mean I miss out on riding. He found me some relatively easy stuff (although one bit was a bit harder than I'm used to, with a lot of giant rocks scattered about) that I had fun on, so that was good.

In the end, after all that, we didn't make it out to Lamma. He had it planned for one day just before easter, but the weather was foul and so we decided to check out Aberdeen instead. We got caught in a downpour and then ate crappy food on Jumbo, so my wife's not so keen on Aberdeen now. :)

So far the leading candidate based on price/location/commute/school/restaurants issues is Kennedy Town. I guess riding my bike straight from my front door to a hill will be something I'd miss there, but we can't have everything. Hopefully we can make a move in mid-2013 (or 2014) as planned and then start to think about it seriously, including a visit to more places, including Lamma this time.

5 years 9 months ago #2561

• Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

• Thank you received: 9

• Cool caught up with Steve to do some riding. As for Jumbo restaurant, stay downstairs for the (lunchtime) dimsum, which even the local foodies-cum-gourmands say is actually pretty damn good. Avoid the tourist trap upper-deck which seems you unfortunately foistered upon yourselves.

2014 eh? Kennedy Town will get its MTR station with the currently in construction Island Line extension... so a fairly convenient part of town willget even more so. Luckily(?), the current property prices already price this fact in...

5 years 9 months ago #2564

• Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• As for Jumbo restaurant, stay downstairs for the (lunchtime) dimsum, which even the local foodies-cum-gourmands say is actually pretty damn good. Avoid the tourist trap upper-deck which seems you unfortunately foistered upon yourselves.

When we got there, they told us the power was out in the kitchen and so we should go upstairs. Not sure that was true. Very annoyed now to hear I missed out on some decent dim sum! :angry: :angry:

5 years 8 months ago #2570

• Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

• Steve may well be the MTB guide... I do a reasonable impression of a decent HK food guide... so when you and family finally arrive (less of course there's another holiday trip between now and then ;) ) and need advice on places for good food (near home and general HK)... then you're welcome to give me a prod. :)

5 years 8 months ago #2572

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• Thank you received: 16

• There is an AWESOME (and very economical) curry place in Yuen Long called Shaffi's Malik. The owner took over the business from his uncle, and used to serve curries to the British Army while they were here. I used to go to their Wan Chai branch (which is now sadly gone due to rising rent), and the fact that I will happily go to Yuen Long to eat at the only remaining branch should say a lot.

Man, just thinking about the place makes me hungry!

5 years 8 months ago #2573

• Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

• YW-Slayer wrote: There is an AWESOME (and very economical) curry place in Yuen Long called Shaffi's Malik. The owner took over the business from his uncle, and used to serve curries to the British Army while they were here. I used to go to their Wan Chai branch (which is now sadly gone due to rising rent), and the fact that I will happily go to Yuen Long to eat at the only remaining branch should say a lot.

Man, just thinking about the place makes me hungry!

I'll stick my oars in as I live in Ho Pui and have been to Shaffi's and personally, I think the one in Kam Tin named Shahjahan is better, plus I've actually seen Indian+Pakistanis actually eating at Shajahan, but never the times I pass Shaffi's, but that might be my luck. Shahjahan has been there when Hong Kong was still British and is walking distance from old RAF Shek Kong. In fact, I think Shahjahan is better than the two (still very good) curry places in Tsim Shan Tsui Chung King Mansions, The Delhi Club and Khyber Pass Mess. Plus coming over from HK Island, Kam Sheung Road MTR is much closer to Kam Tin than Yuen Long MTR is to Yuen Long proper, where you'd at least have to switch for 1 stop via Light Rail. There's also a Nepali run Indian place called Shangri-La in Yuen Long (closest MTR stop is Long Ping MTR), I have yet to try that one in person, but it's supposed to be okay but according to various Westerners, no better than the ones in TST... so it all goes back to Kam Tin, if you are going to trek out this far (or live that way already... like me). :lol:

5 years 8 months ago #2574

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• Thank you received: 16

• Transport is not an issue as I always drive to places like Yuen Long. But thanks for the tip on Shahjahan. I will definitely try and check it out if you reckon that it's better!

Haven't been to the places in Chungking Mansions. Usually for curry I will go to Jashan's in Central, or the place above Wooloomooloo whose name escapes me, but which is actually quite good, especially for lunch. The Jashan lunch buffet is actually pretty incredible value, though good luck with actually doing any work in the afternoon!

The main reason I go to Shaffi's is for the grilled and tandoori stuff, which I find to be brilliant. Curries (esp. the dhall) are excellent too but it's really the tandoori that gets me. And that biryani, mmm... Whenever I have been at Shaffi's - which is not that often - there are a few Pakistanis who drop by to shoot the breeze with the owner, but yes, I don't usually see many sitting down and ordering food there. Still, I have a VIP card so that's good. I find it such good value that I usually end up tipping 20%! Probably spoiling the market, I know, but whatever...

I am also (though fortunately Shaffi's doesn't have it, I think) very fond of gulab jamun, which probably explains my inability to lose weight, LOL!

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
    You are here: Home Forum 討論區 HKMBA Riders forum Got a Question 疑難解答 Might be moving to HK: where to live/bike?