× Got a Question 疑難解答

Topic-icon Might be moving to HK: where to live/bike?

5 years 8 months ago #2575

• Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

• Thank you received: 9

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • Well, if you live on Island-side, then popping over to TST isn't that hard. Central and curry are not really two words I'd ever associate with each other. Heh. :P Bit hard to "pop over for lunch" (less you get 2+ hours for lunch!)... but those two in TST are well worth a visit. Go for dinner! ;)

The Delhi Club: Room 3, 3/F, Block C, Chungking Mansion, 38-44 Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui

Khyber Pass Mess: Shop E2, 7/F, Block E, Chungking Mansions, Tsim Sha Tsui

Then my neck of the woods, beyond the Dark Side...

Shahjahan: G/F, 90 Shing Mun Sun Chuen, Kam Tin, Yuen Long (nearest MTR station Kam Sheung Road, it's right "next to" Kam Tin post office on the main road)

Shangri-La Curry House: G/F., 144 On Ning Road, Yuen Long (nearest MTR stop, Long Ping)

But Hong Kong is really about Chinese food, specifically Cantonese and its oh-so-fresh-it-was-literally-swimming-just-minutes-ago seafood dishes, besides dimsum. :D

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 8 months ago #2576

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• Thank you received: 16

• I will definitely try those 2, but generally, if I'm going to go beyond the island I might as well go all the way and go to your neck of the woods! Also, the ones I've mentioned in Central are only a 5-10 minute walk from my office. Plus the Jashan lunch curry buffet is for the crazily low price (for Central) of around HK$100-120 (don't remember exact amount), and they usually have gulab jamun. :cheer: Certainly better than buying HK$88 microwaved lasagna from a food court which shall remain nameless.

Funny you mention Cantonese food on the island, as I usually end up eating Western and Japanese! Especially yakiniku. Yum yum. :laugh: There is an incredible roast goose place on Stanley St. (not Yung Kee) which is very good, though. They used to charge HK$37 for a bowl of noodles with roast goose leg. That went up to HK$39, then HK$41, HK$43 and now after renovating so that the place doesn't look like a total dump, it's HK$53. But still better (IMO) than the stuff at Yung Kee which costs nearly double.

5 years 8 months ago #2577

• Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

• Ah... so you know the Hongkonger secret of Yat Lok Restaurant (一樂食舘) on Stanley Street (no relation... as far as I know) for their roast goose. I was actually trying to take some visitor friends there just last week but by the time we got there (around 8pm) they had already sold out of everything. Booo! The Dai Pai Dongs (big license eateries) on Stanley Street/Graham Street are worth checking out too. :)

5 years 8 months ago #2578

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• Yes, not sure I'd call it a secret (and there is definitely MSG in the soup base with soup noodles!) but it's pretty awesome already.

When that dish was HK$37 they would sell out of goose leg by 2pm.

Checked out one of the street eateries at the end of the street and it was alright, but not exactly cheap. X(number) treasure noodles and deep fried fish skin was around HK$70. I'd rather go have the goose, or go to Jashan's for curry buffet. :cheer:

5 years 5 months ago #2709

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• Stanley, dude, I was going to go to Shahjahan tomorrow night via Route Twisk, but it's now closed down!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOO :angry: :angry:

Guess I'll have to try Shangri-la tomorrow night.

5 years 5 months ago #2710

• Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

• YW-Slayer wrote: Stanley, dude, I was going to go to Shahjahan tomorrow night via Route Twisk, but it's now closed down!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOO :angry: :angry:

Guess I'll have to try Shangri-la tomorrow night.

Yeah. I did that too. Apparently they had a fire back in late April/early May. The store next door said the owner wanted to be back open by June, pending Fire Services Dept. investigation. Obviously the bureaucratic cogs are turning very very slowly. Or the owner has decided to call it quits. Shangri-La is pretty decent... just a bit out of the way (from Route Twisk)!

5 years 5 months ago #2711

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• I see, that's harsh. I'll check back in a few months then.

We'll probably end up going on the highway via Yuen Long. Pity, I wanted to go to Kam Tin partly so that I could check out Route Twisk in my new car!

5 years 4 months ago #2789

• Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

• YW-Slayer wrote: I see, that's harsh. I'll check back in a few months then.

We'll probably end up going on the highway via Yuen Long. Pity, I wanted to go to Kam Tin partly so that I could check out Route Twisk in my new car!

Stopped by the 7-11 in Kam Tin and saw some life at Shahjahans! Spoke with the lady-owner(?) and said they should be back in business this Tuesday/Wednesday!

5 years 4 months ago #2790

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• Thanks for the news! May well try and hit it this weekend. Reservations essential, I take it? We tried to go to Shangri-la but were told at the door (at 9pm) that it was full, so ended up gorging ourselves at Shaffi's again.

5 years 4 months ago #2792

• Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

• YW-Slayer wrote: Thanks for the news! May well try and hit it this weekend. Reservations essential, I take it? We tried to go to Shangri-la but were told at the door (at 9pm) that it was full, so ended up gorging ourselves at Shaffi's again.

Kam Tin's so sleepy that I have always just walked in without booking at Shahjahan's. Occasionally there's a group of 6~12 Hongkongers... though there'd still be space for a slim person or two. B) I also hazard a guess weekday would be less busy than a weekend, though to be fair it seems all of Yuen Long is now crazy full of people (shoppers, hikers, bikers, drivers, etc) at weekends wherever you try to hide.

The following user(s) said Thank You: YW-Slayer

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
    You are here: Home Forum 討論區 HKMBA Riders forum Got a Question 疑難解答 Might be moving to HK: where to live/bike?