× Got a Question 疑難解答

Topic-icon Might be moving to HK: where to live/bike?

5 years 9 months ago #2839

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• Thank you received: 16

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • Dude, went to Khyber Pass last week. It was pretty good but the Boti Kebab was BEEF??!!! instead of lamb, so I had the seekh kebab instead, which wasn't that great I thought. The Sag Paneer was awesome, though, really smooth and tasty, although I did have a furry feeling in my mouth afterward, and the pilau rice was pretty good.

I'll check out Delhi Club next week.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 9 months ago #2868

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• Hey Stanley, is Shahjahan open? Called the number listed on Openrice and it was disconnected, and I don't feel like going all the way out there only to find out that it's closed (though having said that I can always go to 1 of the 2 restaurants in Yuen Long if that's the case!).

5 years 9 months ago #2869

• Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

• Thank you received: 9

• YW-Slayer wrote: Hey Stanley, is Shahjahan open? Called the number listed on Openrice and it was disconnected, and I don't feel like going all the way out there only to find out that it's closed (though having said that I can always go to 1 of the 2 restaurants in Yuen Long if that's the case!).

The number I have on their business card is the same as the OpenRice number... so can't help there. Haven't been past that bit of Kam Tin since last time I saw them doing work and the lady said "they'll be open next week". Just head for Yuen Long and when you pass Shahjahan... and if it is open, you can make an early stop there? No disappointment, only pleasant surprise... B)

5 years 9 months ago #2870

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• I suppose I'll have to just leave half-an-hour earlier just in case Shahjahan IS closed!

5 years 9 months ago #2919

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• Right, finally got to Shahjahan today, and it was GOOD! The number on their (new?) card is 5111-5304. They didn't have any kebabs available as it was too late to fire up the oven, but I had a vegetable makhani, dhall, and a mutton biryani. I'd rate all of them as some of the best I've ever had in those respective categories. The biryani was perhaps a bit "wetter" than the ones I've had at most South Asian restaurants, but it was still very enjoyable. Also had less of a furry feeling in my mouth when compared to Khyber Pass. Anyway, at HK$130 for those 3 dishes along with a mango lassi it was a bargain. I will go back to try the mutton kebab (not named boti kebab?) and maybe even a sikh kebab.

Stanley, mentioned your name but the lady didn't seem to know exactly who I was talking about. They did find it somewhat surprising that I'd come all the way from Central to eat there.

The following user(s) said Thank You: StanleyJ

5 years 9 months ago #2920

• Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

• YW-Slayer wrote: Right, finally got to Shahjahan today, and it was GOOD! The number on their (new?) card is 5111-5304. They didn't have any kebabs available as it was too late to fire up the oven, but I had a vegetable makhani, dhall, and a mutton biryani. I'd rate all of them as some of the best I've ever had in those respective categories. The biryani was perhaps a bit "wetter" than the ones I've had at most South Asian restaurants, but it was still very enjoyable. Also had less of a furry feeling in my mouth when compared to Khyber Pass. Anyway, at HK$130 for those 3 dishes along with a mango lassi it was a bargain. I will go back to try the mutton kebab (not named boti kebab?) and maybe even a sikh kebab.

Stanley, mentioned your name but the lady didn't seem to know exactly who I was talking about. They did find it somewhat surprising that I'd come all the way from Central to eat there.

Were you mountain biking or car cruising today?

Anyway... Good to hear they are back open and they passed the taste test (for lunch I presume?). When I was speaking to the Chinese waitress when I was last there, the son of the original owner & chef didn't want to take it over, so apparently got some extended family or whatever got to take over the restaurant. Having been closed so long (for the fire), I did wonder if those new owners might decide to call it quits and hand it over to someone else yet again. Seems like they haven't if the quality of food is still there?

I don't think anyone in the restaurant would know me by name, since I've only been there a handful of times. Then again, if you said you got a recommendation "from a Chinese-looking guy with long pony-tail"... then they probably knew exactly who you were talking about! ;)

5 years 9 months ago #2922

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• I, uh, went there with the assistance of long-dead reptile/avian relatives.

Yes, it was lunch. Wasn't made aware that it was under new management but it was definitely good enough for me.

When(if?) I go back there on Friday night for date night I'll mention the Chinese-looking guy with the long ponytail. :D

5 years 9 months ago #2924

• Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

• Shahjahan made a name for itself when the British Army were still at Shek Kong barracks, and we know how much British Army men (and Police officiers) like their Indian curry! :evil:

The original owner/chef still owns it... just doesn't do the cooking anymore, what with his son not wanting to take up the father's business.

At this rate, looks like you'll be more of a regular there than I ever managed to! B)

5 years 9 months ago #2926

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• I thought that was Shaffi's, actually, but I suppose there was definitely enough demand for more than one curry house. The walls of Shaffi's are full of articles about it and how they served the Brits. The Wan Chai branch also used to have pictures showing how they were the caterers when a Pakistani aircraft carrier and some VIPs visited town.

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
    You are here: Home Forum 討論區 HKMBA Riders forum Got a Question 疑難解答 Might be moving to HK: where to live/bike?