× Got a Question 疑難解答

Topic-icon Shipping a bike from UK to HK

5 years 11 months ago #2288

• Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • Moving to HK on Friday and wondering if anyone has any advise on having a bike shipped out from UK... Any suggestions on good companies to use/ approximate prices would be appreciated!

Lizzie

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 11 months ago #2289

• Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

• Thank you received: 9

• If you can get the bike packed and have it shipped with your furniture (and don't mind the couple month's wait) then it'll just be part of the quote and would work out the cheapest. Problem is it takes a very long time.

Quickest would obviously be packing your bike into a travel case and take it with you on the flight. Depending on whom you are flying with, you either won't pay any fee or there'll be a slight "oversized sports equipment" fee. Varies from airline to airline... so check with whomever you're flying with. Oh... and the fact you have to get a bike travel case (eg: hard case like Polaris Bike POD). Case is about 150~250quid. Airline fee around 200quid. I haven't tried, but if you have a full suspension frame, I guess you could remove the rear-triangle which may help you pack it into a regular super-sized suitcase. You can use your clothes as padding. Then you'll just pay for weight overage.

Having it shipped separately, it's either FedEx, DHL or UPS. Having ordered complete bikes from the UK with all three. I'd avoid FedEx (they managed to "lose" the package on their system... though it did arrive after about 1 week). DHL is expensive (but you can rely on them... ~400quid) however UPS is the cheapest, if you use their economy within 5 working days. For a packed bike of roughly 80cm(L) x 66cm(H) x 25cm(W)... Economy is about 250 quid. The super fast 2-day service is ~380quid.

Horses for courses... as they say.

5 years 11 months ago #2310

• Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Many thanks for getting back to me and with so much info. I am now in hk so too late to fly it out with me... I think I will most likely have it flown out separatly so I can get it here ASAP.

Another slight issue is that's its brand new and its going to in its original box- got it at trade in UK so made more sense than buying out here... Any idea what import tax etc they charge?

Looking forward to joining some rides soon as I can get it here!

5 years 11 months ago #2311

• Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

• Thank you received: 9

• Lucky you on a trade price bike... handy to have the original box too. As for tax, Hong Kong is a free port... so everything is _tax free_... Yay! :)

5 years 11 months ago #2377

• Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• Thank you received:

• I shipped a bike from UK about 3 years ago it was a 120quid using RPXonline, because the manager was biker. Cant remember his name.

got it at trade in UK

What bike did you get and what was price?

5 years 10 months ago #2380

• Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• Thank you received:

• I have a La Pierre Zesty, bought at trade so about £1500... Currently he is sat in his box in England while i'm deciding how to get him here! Will certainly look in to that company! Quotes from DHL etc are all around £350 so may wait till my dad is out in April to bring it on the plane if not... Dont know if I can remain bikeless that long though!

5 years 10 months ago #2381

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• Thank you received: 8

• £1500 works out to be HKD18,900, good deal for a whole bike. La Pierre full suspension bikes are expensive in HK.

Have you taken apart the bike yet?

5 years 10 months ago #2382

• Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• Thank you received:

• I have a La Pierre Zesty, bought at trade so about £1500..

Zesty is good bike for HK trails. 1500 nice price. You should give RPX a go -- get a quote. or SF Express there are moving companies on every street corner here. :) Your missing the best riding weather ;)

Moderators: bikestevebrandon