× Got a Question 疑難解答

Topic-icon New to HK, Dying to Ride!

5 years 7 months ago #2801

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • Hi everyone!

I'm new to HK and have just settled along with my family. My bikes (a long travel trail bike and a XC hardtail) are here with me now and like any biking enthusiast I am really itching to ride the trails here. I've seen quite a few videos of singletracks all over HK and I'm really quite excited.

BUT! I have some issues which need addressing and I'm hoping you guys can help out:

Background:
    We live in Sai Wan Ho (HK Island)
    I don't own a car here (I miss my car + roof racks)
    I can ride weekends only

1) Sai Wan Ho - Where is the nearest trail for me? How do I get there?

2) If I were to try trails in Lantau Island, what would be most economical way to get there without having to go via the MTR?

My problem really is 'logistics' related :laugh: Questions like - "How do I get home all covered in mud if I'm so far from home in Sai Wan Ho?" - come to mind.

I need to ride soon because I'm gaining too much weight already (and I'm already overweight) ;) The food here in HK is great. I'd appreciate anything you can share!

Cheers! Ride safe.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 7 months ago #2803

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• Thank you received: 8

• 1) For HK Island folks, the nearest trail is Dragon's Back, located in the Shek O Country Park.

It is not safe to ride on road in HK, better take the MTR from Sai Wan Ho to either Heng Fa Chuen or Chai Wan station.

2) Lautau Island - Take MTR to Central Pier, then take the ferry

I'm planning for an early morning ride to Dragon's Back this Saturday. I need to be back home by 10am so I'll leave home at 7am, the latest. Pls join me at Heng Fa Chuen MTR.

5 years 7 months ago #2806

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Wow thanks for the reply and the offer ang!

Unfortunately I am currently in Mumbai, India - will touch down HK Saturday 9am.

Will PM you or join a ride once I get that biking permit thing done.
    Or can we ride Dragon's Back without the permit? ;)

5 years 7 months ago #2807

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• Thank you received: 16

• Well, strictly speaking, you shouldn't ride without the permit as it is illegal to do so! But leaving that aside, you should get one anyway to ensure that the AFCD know that we are around (and the more, the merrier).

Ang - may be possible for me to make Saturday morning. I'll text you tomorrow night?

5 years 7 months ago #2808

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Yup I should get that permit sorted asap.

It is my intention to ride sometime between Sept 29 and Oct 2. It's been too long, I might not be able make any uphill section anymore! Been in HK since start of June, my last ride was the Saturday before that.

Looking forward to riding with you guys soon. Thanks for the replies!

5 years 7 months ago #2811

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• YW,

I'll confirm tonite if I need to bring the kid to school Sat morning.

5 years 7 months ago #2813

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received: 1

• you HK islanders need to get further afield ;)

Welcome Boost , some great riding to be had in HK , especially coming into the cooler dryer months.

I Ride TMS ( Tai Lam country park ) most weekends and travel to and from the China border by taxi. It sure is not the cheapest way to get to the trail head ( in my case though , unfortunately the only way ). I have not had any issues with a muddy bike and kit in the taxi. I put the wheels in the trunk and the bike across the rear foot well , then sit in the front.

Will be riding this Sunday , see my other thread that nobody :( has responded to , and also will be riding on Sunday 31st.

5 years 7 months ago #2815

• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Thank you received:

• Thanks enzoferrari :)

I've seen some really nice videos of rides in Tai Lam Chung (?) and it's one of those areas where I also want to ride. I hope the ride up won't kill me. The ride down looks real fun though.

Will try Dragon's Back first and then probably move further once I'm more familiar with everything. A taxi ride to the trail head will probably be my only option for those far off country parks.

5 years 7 months ago #2816

• Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

• enzoferrari wrote: you HK islanders need to get further afield ;)

Will be riding this Sunday , see my other thread that nobody :( has responded to , and also will be riding on Sunday 31st.

enzoferrari,

Pls do keep posting the rides. TMS is more than a half-day trip for HK Islanders. Some of us need to look after the kids during weekends else the wives will throw the bikes out, haha :laugh:

5 years 7 months ago #2817

• Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

• Thank you received: 9

• ang wrote:

enzoferrari wrote: you HK islanders need to get further afield ;)

enzoferrari,

Pls do keep posting the rides. TMS is more than a half-day trip for HK Islanders. Some of us need to look after the kids during weekends else the wives will throw the bikes out, haha :laugh:

Clearly the answer is to do an MTB daytrip with the kids... :whistle:

Moderators: bikestevebrandon