× Got a Question 疑難解答

Bikes on MTR

5 years 9 months ago #3011 by Lennart Finkeldey
Hey there,

I read on this website already that bikes with both wheels attached are not allowed on the MTR. You have to remove the front wheel to be able to access the MTR systems.
Here's just a general question as to how people experienced riding the MTR with their bikes.
Is it always hassle free as station staff know the regulation or do you sometimes get questioned or asked to leave the station?
I am about to get my mountain bike end of the month and it would be helpful to use the MTR systems to get closer to some of the trails.

Do you pack your bike in a bike bag?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 9 months ago #3013 by mahatmacanejeeves
Replied by mahatmacanejeeves on topic Bikes on MTR
Hi,

No need to put your bike in a bag, just take the front wheel off and you're golden. I've taken the MTR all over HK with my bike and have never had a problem.

5 years 9 months ago #3014 by Lennart Finkeldey
Replied by Lennart Finkeldey on topic Bikes on MTR
Hi mahatmacanejeeves,

Thanks for your input. How do you deal with the bikes cleanliness and the MTR?
Are you washing your bike thoroughly before entering the MTR after every ride?

5 years 9 months ago #3015 by StanleyJ
Replied by StanleyJ on topic Bikes on MTR
Warning... I'm about to have a little rant about the MTR by-laws, vis-a-vis bicycle front wheel removal. :P

I see eye-to-eye on Martin Turner (over at HK Cycling Alliance ) on the "requirement" of front wheel removal by the MTRC is not only an inconvenience... it is actually also more dangerous than having a complete bicycle within the station, if only for the fact at least one hand would be free (both hands are used when one has to hold a bike, and another the wheel), the brakes work and there are no pointy (fork ends) or sharp (brake rotors) bits to cut and/or injure people with a bicycle that still has its front wheel attached.

On the last few times I've taken my full-sized commuter bike on the MTR (West Rail then Tung Chung line), I've gone through with the bicycle in one piece... curiously wasn't stopped at any point.

Anyway... if you do get stopped, Mr. Turner suggests you should explain to the MTR staff the above that a complete bicycle is safer to yourself and other passengers, with the bicycle in one piece, as opposed to partly disassembled weighty metal. If they start being belligerent, and you have time, ask for the station manager.

As for bike cleanliness... if you're coming out via Ho Pui, there's a store "behind" the village hall which has a hose-pipe that can be borrowed to rinse off the bikes. The downhill guys whom use the vans for shuttle runs make use of the store's hosepipe quite often when the weather is crap, as the van drivers don't like their vans getting all muddy... even more so than what the MTRC might be! B)

5 years 9 months ago #3016 by Lennart Finkeldey
Replied by Lennart Finkeldey on topic Bikes on MTR
Hi Stanley,
Thanks for your post. I agree with you on the fact that a completely assembled bike is more safe to push around the MTR than one with the front wheel removed. I should try bringing it in whole first and see if I get into any trouble.

As for cleanliness, how about other trails? Or another question, are you also using the MTR always to get closer to some of the trails or do you use Taxi, own car, rented vans? But in any case, I think a clean bike is always appreciated for transportation.

5 years 9 months ago #3017 by StanleyJ
Replied by StanleyJ on topic Bikes on MTR
Errr. I live in Ho Pui village... so I am already home at the end of a ride around the Tai Lam Reservoir/Ho Pui trail network. B) :whistle:

I don't really see many/any people MTBing when the weather is absolutely awful... so no idea if the MTR staff would bar you for being covered in mud. Anyway... the amount of concrete road you have to ride from the end of a trail to a transportation node... most of the worst muck on the bike will have come off. Van drivers used to shuttling MTBers will know us guys get filthy anyway and probably don't mind.

In most cases... there will be a "mum & pop" owned refreshment store between the trail and civilisation, and they'll usually have a hose somewhere. Or if you pass a stream en-route... give the bikes a rinse now and then?

3 years 11 months ago #3549 by maese0
Replied by maese0 on topic Bikes on MTR
Means MTR also the Eastline? KCRC? Years ago was not possible... Thanks for actual usage..Come end of December to HK..and take my Bike with me..

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
Time to create page: 0.432 seconds
© Hong Kong Mountain Bike Association. All Rights Reserved.