× Trails 越野路徑

Roads to nowhere

5 years 7 months ago #3312 by BeardedBlunder
Replied by BeardedBlunder on topic Roads to nowhere
Martin Turner, from the HK Cycling Alliance, a top guy is pushing that very project along, and would appreciate as much support as possible

Also turn up for his Ride of silence on Wed 15th May (details on the front page)

Cheers
BB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #3311 by blackcolour
Replied by blackcolour on topic Roads to nowhere
On a slightly different but related topic, I'm not sure if people are aware of the movement for a hong kong island harbour front cycleway, sounds like a superb idea if this actually gets done:

harbourfrontcycleway.hk

5 years 7 months ago #3310 by BeardedBlunder
Replied by BeardedBlunder on topic Roads to nowhere
Maybe HK should look at following the Netherlands - with its elevated bike paths

hovenring.com/

we have elevated roads so why not add on a bike path too!!!!!

5 years 7 months ago #3308 by Pk101
Replied by Pk101 on topic Roads to nowhere
I noticed the Ho Pui -Tai Lam road was on the the unban list.....wonder who that was :S ;)

I dont know if I would want to use the flyover to get onto Tai Po road, the number of containers and truckers using it is scary. Is it not easier to use pavement on petrol station side?

5 years 7 months ago #3307 by StanleyJ
Replied by StanleyJ on topic Roads to nowhere
Don't get mad... get active? hkcyclingalliance.org/unban_batch_1 :evil:

5 years 7 months ago #3305 by bikesteve
Replied by bikesteve on topic Roads to nowhere
Yes Its on the Tai Po Rd to Shatin, it's definitely upset a lot of users (me included) as this was the only cyclable link from Shatin-Kowloon proper.
Once that new super bridge opens to Macau it's possible the popular Lantau Highway service road may also go the same way...

5 years 7 months ago #3304 by blackcolour
There's no mentioning of Lantau/Tung Chung in that article, see below for the (google translated) article, which may or may not induce laughter:

Also my right of way! The Transport Department on the grounds of traffic safety, quiet limit bicycle and pedestrian access to the road signs erected before towards Sha Tin, Tai Po Road flyover, to cause cycling associations criticized. Cycling enthusiasts respect, cyclists now available via Tai Po Road, Hiram's Highway and Castle Peak Road, Kowloon step towards the New Territories, Tai Po Road is the most convenient and safest lane, "no card" vertical immediately called cyclists "Baked step "two more dangerous, both narrow addition ramps Road, will be counter-productive to worry about unexpected gain. The cycling groups initiated by one person, one e-mail insisted TD removal of the signs.

Many cycling enthusiasts are usually welcomed by the Tai Po Road between Kowloon and the New Territories.

The new signs erected across the Ching Cheung Road northbound Shatin flyover before the opposite direction by the Tai Po Road, Sha Tin to Kowloon still allow cyclists to become unable to do so "smooth back and forth", "non-The road back. "

Hong Kong Cycling News Luozhen Qi criticism TD, vertical, licenses, without any consultation with cycling groups, referring to the existing Tai Po Road, cyclists can use the other two roads to and from Kowloon and the New Territories, but the two-way route circuitous journey took when at least 90 minutes, compared to Tai Po Road to spend about an hour, including Nai Chung to Sai Kung Town Hiram's Highway into the Clear Water Bay Road, then straight to step to the Ngau Chi Wan, via Sai Sha Road every holiday forbid bicycles into the Sai Kung District road than narrow. The rest of the way by Castle Peak Road, Tsuen Wan Mobil, via Lai King Hill, and winding and ramps, high-risk, "TD do not give me dislikes Tai Po Road, the GOD" baked "live step the other two more dangerous generous Road, fear of counter-productive. "

Cycling groups dissatisfied with the Transport Department without consulting forbid bicycles pedestrians entering the street signs erected in Tai Po Road sections. (The Huang Zhongmin photo)

Other cycling associations "the Tai Po rider Cheyou" initiated by one person, one e-mail Commissioner for Transport to give a reasonable explanation, and strongly request the the Department removal of signs. However, there are a small number of cyclists paid no heed to the "no-brand" business as usual cyclists be allowed to enter the road, Tai Po Road on the way at a cross section, senior cycling coach Liangzhi Xian remind cyclists attention then the driving direction of the vehicle, their own should hit gesture, then the vehicle has warning.

Transport Department spokesman said that, taking into account the road traffic volume, height, slope, the ratio of heavy vehicles, and the risk of accidents and other factors that are necessary in the sections need to limit bicycles.

5 years 7 months ago #3303 by Pk101
Thanks! Do you know what the article said? Any translation, Im not sure if it mentioned Lantau or not.

If it refers to the road along the highway to Sunny Bay its going to upset a lot of people...

5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #3302 by blackcolour
That's right. They have very discreetly erected a sign prohibiting cyclists and pedestrians access to the bridge connecting Lung Cheung Road Westbound to Tai Po Road.

5 years 7 months ago #3301 by Pk101
I saw something in Oriental Daily yesterday but was in Chinese.

The picture that was posted with the article looked like it was showing the trunk road connecting Lung Chung Road/Sham Shui Po and old Tai Po Road. A "No Pedestrian/Bicycle" sign was shown too.

Its the only way roadies can get from Sha Tin to Kowloon easily.

I will try and dig out the article...

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
Time to create page: 0.458 seconds
© Hong Kong Mountain Bike Association. All Rights Reserved.