× Talking Bikes 技術資訊

open pedals or clips

9 years 2 months ago #1438 by hkflyer
Replied by hkflyer on topic open pedals or clips
Hi Jeff and Tom,
Thanks so much for your advice. I went ahead and bought SDP's as well as a pair of Shimano mountain bike shoes. both were on sale!!

I'm happy with my purchases though I had a really bad fall because of them. I had the clips tension on too high. when I was crossing a dried stream, I suddenly stopped because I got stuck on a big rock. I couldn't get my feet out as I tipped over the rocky edge. Luckily, I didn't get any injuries because my elbow/knee pads, helmet AND camelback cushioned my fall.

Let's just say that I have since loosed the tension and I'm able to quickly get my feet loose.

Thanks again and hope to see you both on the trail sometime.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #1437 by Jeff
Replied by Jeff on topic open pedals or clips
hkflyer:

"open pedals" are called "flats pedals"

"the clip system" ones are called (confusingly) "clipless pedals"

Both styles have their good and bad points, but both are fine. If you're planning to race though, you should move towards clipless as you will be wanting as much pedalling efficiency as possible.

If you stick with flats and are having trouble with traction, get flats with spikes (the Wellgo MG1 pedals are cheap and have good spikes) with a pair of grippy rubber shoes. There is a brand called 5.10 which makes a flat-soled skateboard/bmx style shoe which works well with flat pedals.

As Tom points out, if you used spiked flat pedals, wear shinguards otherwise you will hurt yourself. I'd argue against the hybrid flat/clipless pedals though- I started on those and they are more of a pain in the ass than a convenience.

9 years 2 months ago #1416 by tom
Replied by tom on topic open pedals or clips
Its a tough choice and mostly depends on the kinds of riding that you prefer.

I am mostly an XC rider so I use the clipless SPDs. It takes some practice and tuning to get accustomed to unclipping but becomes second nature after a few tumbles. I would stay away from Crank Brothers as there are no options to set to the release tension. Plus they break easily..

Many of the all mountain or DH riders use the flat pedals with little spikes that sink into the shoe. Its easier to put your foot down, but watch out for those spikes! --- they can shred your shins unless you wear shin guards.

Or you can opt for a hybrid solution that combines a flat pedal with a clip. That is often a good compromise for HK where an XC ride often include All Mountain and DH sections... and these pedals wont shred your shins.

9 years 2 months ago #1411 by hkflyer
open pedals or clips was created by hkflyer
Hi Everyone,
Just bought a new mountain bike with stock pedals. I'm planning on replacing them as they don't offer much traction. I'm trying to decide if I should buy open pedals(sorry, I don't know the technical term) or get the clip system.

I plan on doing some racing in the future.

Thanks for your help

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
Time to create page: 0.319 seconds
© Hong Kong Mountain Bike Association. All Rights Reserved.