× Talking Bikes 技術資訊

Mechanical or Hydraulic Disc brakes?

10 years 4 months ago #342 by GirvinNRS
Replied by GirvinNRS on topic Mechanical or Hydraulic Disc brakes?
It is the matter of weight, hb is much more lighter than mb and the reliability is relatively low compare with mb, you will find that it is hard to check the condition of hb because it is a close system, it will fail anytime you when you riding your bike. I don't understand why the manufacturer do not copy the design of hb from motorbike. The design of hb of motorbike is more reliable and easy to inspect, the reservoir is higher than the pump, you can see the level if brake oil and most of the time, the air trapped inside the host will goes to the reservoir.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 4 months ago #321 by BeardedBlunder
Replied by BeardedBlunder on topic Mechanical or Hydraulic Disc brakes?
thats rubbish

ive had numouruos cables brake on me and but never had a pipe break! yes the set up time is longer but once dialed in hydro brakes are set for good (weelll almost) whereas cables stretch fatigue and snap, i can understanf your pint of view if you was out in the middle of mongolia where no supplies are possible and weight is at a premium but for the kinda riding we do i dont think its much of a risk

plus they are more responsive
less fatigue on the fingers
dont sieze up so easily as dirt cant get in the cables
and just look sooo much sexier!

10 years 4 months ago #317 by tom
I find hydraulic brakes to be too fussy to adjust. If you cut a cable on the trail then you are stuck without any brake. With cable at least you can carry the 20g replacement cable and fix it then and there. Hydraulic brakes need special fluids and syringes to bleed or refill. On top of it they are more expensive and if you bend a disc then its almost impossible to avoid disc rub, while cable brakes or more forgiving. I have bikes with both kinds and my preference is still for the Mechanical disc brakes.

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
Time to create page: 0.334 seconds
© Hong Kong Mountain Bike Association. All Rights Reserved.