× Talking Bikes 技術資訊

Garmin 705

10 years 2 months ago #983 by minus273
Replied by minus273 on topic Garmin 705
So I recently ran into an issue with my Garmin 205. It is now getting on in gadget years being almost 4 years old.

On a recent ride it decided to keep shutting off. I thought that this was the battery not being charged, unfortunately this was not the case.

Obviously if it is still in warranty go that route, but if you feel like a quick afternoon fix for your GPS. For those of you with Garmin Edge products here is a page to help you when your gadget does not behave.

forums.motionbased.com/smf/index.php?topic=6566.0

Cheers Kev.

P.S. I found with mine that if I bent up the connectors between the two halves that worked best. Also I reset the buttons by pushing the anchors on the back, as they were getting a bit soft and sometimes not working.

P.P.S Make sure you have some rubber contact glue before you start. I used zip ties to hold it back together, do not think super glue is a good way to go as if you need to reset will be a pain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 4 months ago #921 by Hayze
Replied by Hayze on topic Garmin 705
Hi guys,

For those that dont have the Garmin maps for HK you can have a look at mine & see if you like it. If you like it then you can consider purchasing it... hint hint.

Hayze

10 years 4 months ago #918 by minus273
Another useful site for converting GPS data to what ever format suits your needs.

www.gpsvisualizer.com/

10 years 4 months ago #917 by bikesteve
Replied by bikesteve on topic Garmin 705
This might be useful to all the Garmin Forerunner & edge users in HK that do not have the HK road map installed, you use google maps to plan your route on your PC then upload the course to your GPS.

www.bikeroutetoaster.com

10 years 4 months ago #913 by donkeyman
Replied by donkeyman on topic Garmin 705
Thanks to everyone for their advice. Wiggle or chain reaction it is!

10 years 4 months ago #912 by BeardedBlunder
Replied by BeardedBlunder on topic Garmin 705
To buy 705 from Flying ball comes in at over 4k

i got mine from chain reaction for HK$2700

you only need to do the maths to realise its worth getting from the sites!

10 years 4 months ago #910 by bingalingding
Replied by bingalingding on topic Garmin 705
:huh:

Foreign GPS users risk arrest

Stephen Chen in Beijing
Updated on Mar 26, 2009
Foreigners using GPS devices on the mainland risk being detained by police or national security agents if they suspect them of conducting illegal mapping.
"It's better for [your] safety not to turn on the GPS function [on your cellphone]," a State Bureau of Surveying and Mapping official said.

The bureau announced 10 days ago that it was launching a year-long crackdown this month on illegal surveying, with foreigners among its prime targets. Six ministries are involved in the campaign.

Its announcement cites the detention in December 2007 of a foreigner in a village near Luoyang in Henan province. State security agents found a number of locations marked on his hand-held Global Positioning System device and used that as evidence for his arrest, the bureau said, without elaborating.

The South China Morning Post spoke to a bureau official, who identified the detainee as American mining expert Calvin Herron. According to his online profile, Mr Herron is "an exploration geologist with more than 20 years experience in acquisition and management of precious and base metals projects in the western United States" and experience "managing gold and lead-zinc exploration programmes" on the mainland.

The official said Mr Herron was deported four months later after the authorities confiscated his equipment and data and fined him 100,000 yuan (HK$113,700). Mr Herron could not be reached for comment.

Xu Shijie, a guided-missile expert at Beihang University, said there were missile facilities near Luoyang and Mr Herron had probably been arrested because he was getting too close to them.

He is not the only foreigner to have been detained for surveying and mapping on the mainland without approval. At least six Japanese visitors were reportedly arrested in the Xinjiang Uygur autonomous region between 2005 and 2007.

Bureau deputy director Song Chaozhi told China News Service earlier that the bureau would intensify its watch on non-Chinese people using GPS devices for mapping and surveying purposes. "[Such behaviour] severely threatens China's national security," Mr Song was quoted as saying.

An anonymous article, possibly inspired by the crackdown and entitled "How to Catch a Foreign Spy Mapping Chinese Terrain", is circulating in mainland internet chat rooms, urging people to watch out for foreigners using GPS devices.

Beijing bans foreigners from conducting a wide range of topographical activities, from plotting terrain to aerial photography. Non-Chinese institutions or individuals intending to use mapping devices on the mainland must file a request to the central government - which can take months to approve; they must also be "assisted" by mainland bodies and submit their data for vetting.

10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #908 by minus273
I would recommend wiggle used them for my new bike light, as don't want to ride in the heat in the summer.

Got an Exposure MAXx-D. Was a lot cheaper than in the UK.

Sent to my HKG address in 4 days, as said no VAT or Postage if above a certain price item sent.

Kev.

10 years 5 months ago #907 by bikesteve
Replied by bikesteve on topic Garmin 705
Most of us got them online from UK sites like:
www.wiggle.co.uk/c/cycle/7/GPS_-_Cycle/

Low pound, no vat and no delivery charge, it works out at about $2800 depending on the package.

10 years 5 months ago #906 by donkeyman
Replied by donkeyman on topic Garmin 705
Hi,

where did purchase the 705 in HK and what price should I expect to pay?

Thanks.

Moderators: bikestevebrandon
Time to create page: 0.427 seconds
© Hong Kong Mountain Bike Association. All Rights Reserved.